Martini Effect -- No Consistent Definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The New Science of skin and scuba diving crica 1960

Martini's law 001.jpg

There's the definition that I learned. Read the text also. The mermaid ain't bad either. Note the depth 170ft, no depth restriction back then except the bottom.

And someone posted there was no specific definition! Shaken not stired?

Ah....I was taught this as well back in the day.....luckily I don't drink Martinis so it never applied to me.lol

View attachment 134453

There's the definition that I learned. Read the text also. The mermaid ain't bad either. Note the depth 170ft, no depth restriction back then except the bottom.

I was trained in the late 70s and I think this had already passed out of the PC but it was often mentioned on the boat ride in during the traditional post dive beers.

Just looked at my 1980 edition(5th) of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving and it still mentions Martini's law. The bare breasted mermaid is there too. It looks like there was some debate about covering her up. while her nipples are clearly apparent. there are scalop lines hinting that she may have been wearing those rare translucient scalop shells.

The benefit if AFTER, not during the dive.

As soon as you dock after diving the wall & paradise reef from Cozumel, head to the nearest terasse, and order a margarita.
Drink it fast, since you're thirsty.

WAM - you feel like you've had THREE margaritas !!! Enjoy life, this little bonus of being drunk on the cheap.

Bonus # 2 - No Hangover !!! Damn Scuba is F-U-N

Afterdark, Thank You for bringing back fond memories of my training 40 yrs ago.I believe that was the one & only illutration in the 1000 page text!

If quoting the book we might as well go to the source (not new) 1957:

004-1.jpg

Pg.129

006-2.jpg

The text goes on to say:

"The effects of nitrogen under pressure are very similar to those of a variety of gases used in anesthesia. There are differences; but being drunk, being anoxic, and having nitrogen narcosis have a lot in common. The relationship to alcohol has been expressed in what might be called Martini's law... Just as in the case of nitrous oxide and Martini's, individual susceptibility varies considerably... at that depth (100'), you may not notice any impairment unless you try to do something which requires quick thinking or accuracy of thought or motion..."

The original text did not specifically say narcosis was the same as drinking Martini's or being drunk, nor that the effects were equal between divers. The "law" was simply an analogy that explained that the effects of narcosis were akin to alcohol in the sense of being progressive the deeper one dove and not necessarily noticed until one attempted to perform a function requiring coordination or higher mental function.

D. Owen in "A Manual for Free Divers using Compressed Gas" 1955 says (bolding is mine):

"When diving in excess of 80-100 feet, nitrogen narcosis may occur. This cause greater impairment of judgment and sense of self preservation. The effects of the first 100 feet has been very roughly compared to that of one strong alcoholic cocktail... Since the individual reaction to alcohol varies widely, the equivalents are used only as a means of descriptive illustration."

Again, when you read the whole text as written you would see the author is not saying NN is the same as Alcohol intoxication. They are just trying to provide an analogy for a progressive loss of coordination and judgment that varies with the individual in terms that divers of that era might relate to.

Picture2089.jpg

So, the old guys didn't really get it wrong so much as the new guys mis-represented the intent. Much like suggesting the "New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving" had only one illustration or 1000 pg's. Repeated enough times one might actually believe it's true - and then have others argue it's validity.

Last edited:
Beaverdiver you are quite welcome. I’ve got to disagree about the illustrations though there are a lot, here’s one from the same book of old school buddy breathing. Long hose? No double hose. On the right you can see a partial of a doffing illustration.

001.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:20 PM ----------

The benefit if AFTER, not during the dive.

As soon as you dock after diving the wall & paradise reef from Cozumel, head to the nearest terasse, and order a margarita.
Drink it fast, since you're thirsty.

WAM - you feel like you've had THREE margaritas !!! Enjoy life, this little bonus of being drunk on the cheap.

Bonus # 2 - No Hangover !!! Damn Scuba is F-U-N

That also applies to other intoxicants, fyi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom