marking tanks with your lobster lic ID#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. Seems like there's no special trick or best practice, just whatever works. :wink: My tanks are plain steel so I'll try the Sharpie method first since that's cheap. I already bought a set of 3" stencil cards from Staples that I used for the flag so I'll try it on the tanks. Nice and cheap. If it fades too quickly, I'll upgrade to paint using the same stencils and see what happens.

Now to find my first keepers...

In all the times I been inspected by Enviro Police, they've never asked to see if I had numbers on my tanks, but I definitely wouldn't dive without them.
I was, and got a warning (not an actual fine) one time I was using someone else's tank without my numbers.

The sharpie and duct tape works and is really quick and dirty. For something a little more permanent, mail box letters are another option and they are very durable. You can by them at Home Depot. They are kind of metallic looking, though I think they are some kind of plastic. I've had them on 4 or 5 set of tanks for about 3 years and they look no worse for the wear.

For something a little more permanent, mail box letters are another option and they are very durable. You can by them at Home Depot. They are kind of metallic looking, though I think they are some kind of plastic. I've had them on 4 or 5 set of tanks for about 3 years and they look no worse for the wear.
That's what I use. Yes, they are very durable.

Mail box numbers are the best. designed to take the punishment.

As for why number the tanks, I was told by a high level EP officer it was so they could quickly identify a body if need be. kinda a crazy reason.

Mail box numbers are the best. designed to take the punishment.

As for why number the tanks, I was told by a high level EP officer it was so they could quickly identify a body if need be. kinda a crazy reason.

It works great until you borrow my tank for a recreational dive and the police show up at my house and inform my family of my death.:confused:

what are the rules for diving and lobstering. why would you need to mark your tank.

- varies state by state. In ma you're required to mark your tanks and flag. Note that this year they changed your number!!!! Remark everything!!!!

They did indeed! My new permit (purchased online) now has a random 5-digit Permit ID. WTF? Now I have to cover up the permanent marker on all my tanks and re-stencil everything. The big question I have: will I get a new random number every year?

Was there any sort of official advisory about this change? I've been searching the Mass Wildlife sites but nothing yet.

Steve

Edit: OK, based on a tip from another forum discovered the number isn't so random...it's the last 5 digits of your customer ID. As long as it doesn't keep changing...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom