marking tanks with your lobster lic ID#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

Tried my hand at bug-catching for the first time yesterday at Pebble Beach. I'd bought a bunch of stick-on numbers to put my ID# on my tanks. By the time I got home, many of them were getting scrached off from a combination of the water and the way I load the equipment in my car (piece of plywood on top of the tanks to hold our plastic bins of gear).

What are you more experienced folks using? Just magic marker? Specific type of stick-on number?

Just trying to learn...thanks!

Steve

Thanks pdive. I've seen those at Mass Diving but was looking for something a bit more permanent - one less thing to keep track of. I think I'll try the Sharpie/stencil combo...the worst that can happen is it'll wash off I guess.

I've seen people use paint pens as well and they seem to hold up. Another option would be a stencil and spray paint, just make sure you mask the tank well. I use that tag myself because I don't like any permanent markings or stickers on my tank except for the visual sticker and analysis tape. So far the tag has held up well and it's small enough to keep in my save a dice kit/tool box.

I bought some stick on numbers a long time ago (1990) from my LDS. Not sure if they were special or not... I still have them on my tanks and although they're scuffed and scratched, they're still good to go. They're also regulation size. No worries, no hassles and the tank band fits over like they're not even there. They're like a really thin but durable plastic film.

In all the times I been inspected by Enviro Police, they've never asked to see if I had numbers on my tanks, but I definitely wouldn't dive without them.

Sharpie... It worked and stayed on my tanks for the last 2 years :p I made the numbers large enough. Very easy and inexpensive, we all have Sharies around typically ;o)
This was on a Steel tank with no special coating or paint. But even if it gets off, you can always "re-sharpien" it :wink:

what are the rules for diving and lobstering. why would you need to mark your tank.

Gear Marking
Divers must display their assigned permit number upon their tank and a floating marker (upright single panel at least 12” x 12”, white background, black numerals at least 3” high, 1⁄2” in thickness or width of line on both sides of the marker). A group of divers may use only one floating marker listing the permit number of EACH diver in the group.

from page 9 of the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Recreational Lobstering and Crabbing Guide The guide has all the regulations for recreational lobstering.

Sharpie on a piece of high quality duct tape. If I want to remove it I can, however it has remained on my tanks for two seasons at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom