Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
Well...I agree with you that it's not up to us. I would say though that to people who join this board from some places outside of the US, it's possibly NOT automatic common sense to presume that everything is being run under US laws etc. I'm not even sure if it's immediately clear for a newcomer that the servers and ownership etc is US based. While I know that some people intentionally post stuff that they expect to get pulled, in this case it wasn't clear at all and I very much doubt if the people concerned knew they were doing anything 'illegal'.

Whatever....
I agree ...

So this thread may has well be closed, since the only thing that can be stated in this particular thread is, "don't smoke pot and dive, because it is illegal in the United States, and therefore you can not post any stories about your experiences to argue otherwise"

Again, not condoning the activity of smoking pot and diving, but if you can only relate posts to the 1 side of the argument, then why allow any of it?

After 222 posts, let's review the basis of the author's thread:

Hillmorton Scubie asks:

"Should I make the smoking question part of my pre-dive, buddy safety checks.
Perhaps Im just over reacting because Im just an old fart- before my time.
Your thoughts would be appreciated."

Discussions evolve... no? It can't be answered without exploring both sides of the coin, which makes the deeper question (which has come out) valid.

How about mushrooms? I ate fresh picked mushrooms on Kauai and surfed a few times......whhoooaaaaa.......I was a total lizard on the waves dude.

The Kraken:
After 222 posts, let's review the basis of the author's thread:

Hillmorton Scubie asks:

"Should I make the smoking question part of my pre-dive, buddy safety checks.
Perhaps Im just over reacting because Im just an old fart- before my time.
Your thoughts would be appreciated."

Excellent distillation of the OP question for all those people whizzing past the sideline discussion.

redrover:
Excellent distillation of the OP question for all those people whizzing past the sideline discussion.
Then, there's also this quote from the OP's first post:
Hillmorton Scubie:
Im now wondering whether it impairs people as much as I thought.

Hillmorton Scubie:
Im now wondering whether it impairs people as much as I thought.

that's what the BUDDY system is for ... in pairs...

[C]*** Mod Post ***

Gentlemen,

this is not the MOFia!

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

*** Mod Post ***
[/C]

I guess it couldn't hurt to ask as part of a buddy check, but I don't know that you'd necessarily get a truthful answer. Since it's both illegal and reckless, I have trouble imagining a diver who was high saying, "Oh yeah... I'm baked to the gills. Is that a problem?" More likely, it would probably go like this:
"Have you taken any drugs recently?"
"Uhh... no."

I think the OP's instabuddie's openness about it is pretty unusual/strange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom