Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
whichever law the board ownership says matters is what matters

TOS says no condoning illegal stuff; it doesn't have to be illegal everywhere, just in a jurisdiction that matters to the board's ownership

US jurisdiction matters to the board ownership, since that is where most of its membership is, its advertisers, its servers, etc ...

so ... can we move on?
Then just say so........it's simple.

I don't get why actually no one wants to say so in a definitive way. Stick it in the TOS, or the FAQ or whatever. As you well know Andy...posts by individual Mods, or even Advisors, remain purely personal opinions which can be backtracked on by the owner whenever he feels like it. If what has been stated as fact in this thread by two people now is the truth - stick it in the TOS/FAQ and be done with it. End of problem.

Kim:
Then just say so........it's simple.

they have said so ... several times...

:wink:

Fish_Whisperer:
Right on, Andy. The rules are made and enforced at the discretion of the board owner. It doesn't have to conform to "Freedom Of Speech," and it doesn't even have to be consistent. It's a private board under private ownership.

Right on, Rick. Let's go! :thumb:

Dont forget that the moderators and advisors on staff are volunteers.

Kim:
So why isn't it in the TOS?

probably because if you included each specific instance of what is ok and not ok in the TOS, it would balloon to a huge size

thus, more "broad" guideliness are used as the TOS, with the staff making the final decision in each individual case

it's a fine way to do things, and the one the board ownership has chosen

H2Andy:
probably because if you included each specific instance of what is ok and not ok in the TOS, it would balloon to a huge size

thus, more "broad" guideliness are used as the TOS, with the staff making the final decision in each individual case

it's a fine way to do things, and the one the board ownership has chosen
If you already have a statement that 'illegal' is no good, then to add the words 'under US law' would hardly make anything balloon....but it would make things a whole lot clearer! :eyebrow:

Kim:
So why isn't it in the TOS?
...Sigh....
Because trying to cover every jot and tittle would mean a TOS 10,000 pages long that no one could read or follow.
We depend on a little common sense... when that fails we elaborate.
We are not going to turn our basic principles and terms of service into a massive legal tome. Just ain't gonna happen.
But you know that already...
Rick

Kim:
If you already have a statement that 'illegal' is no good, then to add the words 'under US law' would hardly make anything balloon....but it would make things a whole lot clearer! :eyebrow:

it probably would make sense, but i don't think it's absolutely necessary

the TOS works right now as is, and all we can do is suggest changes. it's not up to us to implement them

H2Andy:
the TOS works right now as is, and all we can do is suggest changes. it's not up to us to implement them
Well...I agree with you that it's not up to us. I would say though that to people who join this board from some places outside of the US, it's possibly NOT automatic common sense to presume that everything is being run under US laws etc. I'm not even sure if it's immediately clear for a newcomer that the servers and ownership etc is US based. While I know that some people intentionally post stuff that they expect to get pulled, in this case it wasn't clear at all and I very much doubt if the people concerned knew they were doing anything 'illegal'.

Whatever....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom