Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans:
[C]*** Mod Post ***

Gentlemen,

this is not the MOFia!

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

*** Mod Post ***
[/C]

I didn't notice anyone getting off topic. *shrug* In any case, there's entirely too much moderator activity in this thread, so I'm done. Later, folks. Dive safe.

Now that the mods have cleared the weed off this thread there's just no substance to it left. :D

El Orans:
[C]*** Mod Post ***

Gentlemen,

this is not the MOFia!

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

*** Mod Post ***
[/C]
How can you sensor a laugh El? Wait a minute..........Kim?.....is that really you?

Well, that certainly does remove any substance abuse.
mislav:
Now that the mods have cleared the weed off this thread there's just no substance to it left. :D

Hillmorton Scubie:
Im recently certified (In my 40s) and would like your opinion on this.
We were recently on vacation (Caribbean) and out on a dive boat having a great time, everyone friendly.
My Insta buddy was great fun, and during the surface interval it came out that she likes to smoke weed before a dive. I was astounded.
She said that it relaxes her and reduces air consumption, and if she smokes enough it can bring out the colors of the fish.
Thanks.
A not very cool dude.

Marijuana is a well known bronchodilator so it's not surprising it would reduce someone's gas consumption.
The other effects would seem to offset that though because it also slows the reaction reflexes.

Fish_Whisperer:
I didn't notice anyone getting off topic. *shrug* In any case, there's entirely too much moderator activity in this thread, so I'm done. Later, folks. Dive safe.
agreed.
it's extremely irritating. I'm gonna go find another thread now
:p

I saw the off topic posts, were plenty of them.

I think that most of the comments made to the OP's questions were good ones, even the deleted ones and I think this discussion was for the most part, a good one .. I will say that I wished the controversial, deleted posts were left in

Kim:
If you do, then you need to make the TOS a bit clearer. Smoking weed is NOT universally illegal.

Actually smoking weed is not illegal anywhere in the USA, it's posession that is the crime. If you could devise some scheme of inhaling without posssesing you'd be in the clear.....

D_B:
I will say that I wished the controversial, deleted posts were left in
Me too... I didn't get to see them, and am really curious what they said. Interesting points can be found in the strangest of places... unless the mods delete them.

Rick Murchison:
So it is illegal. Advocating illegal activities is against the Scubaboard TOS, terms you agreed to abide by when you signed up. So are you true to your word, or not?

I did not advocate breaking the law, I merely said that I find it irrelevent to my personal descision making process. It's really up to each person to decide for themselves if they should comply with the law or not (thereby facing potential consequences). But this is a topic that's WAY off the original post........

Going back to something slightly more on topic: What about people who took sudafed before a dive? Are they safe to dive with? We always teach not to dive while taking decongestants because they might 'wear off and give you a reverse squeeze'. What if they have a reverse squeeze while on a deep dive with insuffiencent air? Do you ask potential buddies if they've taken anything legal or not?

To me the real underlying issue is the fact that we're willing to dive with total strangers without any sort of knowledge of their abilities, thier level of common sense, and their saftey record. That to me is scary. At least if someone admits what they've been doing you can make a judgement call about safty (as opposed to people who keep it on the DL for fear of legal consequences) and decide if you want to dive with them or not. Admiting what you've been doing or what you're under the influcence of shows at least a little good judgement and consideration for the saftey of people around you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom