Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
My post is about those people who had posts deleted from this thread (not me) - who stated that they had gone diving after smoking pot. If they can't post that, then the thread should be titled, "Marijuana - don't mix it with diving - post your support for this statement here" -

Good point Howarde!
:D

clearer would not be saying "run under US Norms and Values" ... because it is run under US Law

I think your going too far with this, even if I do agree that you, Howard, and others, raised a valid point and I too do not remember the posts saying they advocated diving while smoking, just that they had done so

D_B:
clearer would not be saying "run under US Norms and Values" ... because it is run under US Law

I think your going too far with this, even if I do agree that you, Howard, and others, raised a valid point
I stand corrected. US Law is probably more accurate in this particular case. As I said earlier as well...this is probably not "US norms and values" in other situations either...but simply those of a few individuals. I apologise for that as I have probably inadvertantly lumped a load of people together who have not deserved it. I'm sorry.

In any event - it quite simply wouldn't be a problem if the board was clear in it's definitions and didn't try to be all things to all people. That said....I still don't see that anyone was advocating anything, or that even US laws were being broken.

Kim:
I don't remember a single person advocating the practice of diving while stoned.
The possession and/or use of marijuana is illegal. The posts advocated possession and use. The advocacy of use and diving isn't the issue in this case, just the advocacy of the illegal use of drugs. If you don't remember those posts then the Mods did a good job and got rid of them before you saw them. :)
I know you already understand this. Why are you continuing an argument that isn't?
Rick

Just out of curiosity, since chucking pool balls at someone's head could reasonably be considered assault (which I think is against the law), why wouldn't a post describing that action as "fun" be deleted as well? <sarcasm>Is it because they were being chucked at someone violating US and Florida law, or does physical violence just not warrant the same attention a hienous crime like smoking a joint does?</sarcasm>

Also, if I were to say (although it would be completely devoid of truth) "One time, on a trip to Amsterdam, I got high as a kite and went for a dive in the canal. It was fun, and it really brought out the colors of the dead leaves on the bottom." Would THAT be a violation of the TOS? After all, it isn't against US or Florida law to smoke weed in the Netherlands. If so, could a poster avoid having his or her questionable opinions removed by prefacing them with "One time, in a country where such things are legal, I..."

whichever law the board ownership says matters is what matters

TOS says no condoning illegal stuff; it doesn't have to be illegal everywhere, just in a jurisdiction that matters to the board's ownership

US jurisdiction matters to the board ownership, since that is where most of its membership is, its advertisers, its servers, etc ...

or to put it more plainly:

this is a private board. they don't want us supporting pot smoking.

we don't like it? we leave

so ... can we move on?

H2Andy:
... so ... can we move on?
Yeah, let's go diving... sober.
Rick :D

Right on, Andy. The rules are made and enforced at the discretion of the board owner. It doesn't have to conform to "Freedom Of Speech," and it doesn't even have to be consistent. It's a private board under private ownership.

Right on, Rick. Let's go! :thumb:

MSilvia:
Just out of curiosity, since chucking pool balls at someone's head could reasonably be considered assault (which I think is against the law), why wouldn't a post describing that action as "fun" be deleted as well? <sarcasm>Is it because they were being chucked at someone violating US and Florida law, or does physical violence just not warrant the same attention a hienous crime like smoking a joint does?</sarcasm>

Also, if I were to say (although it would be completely devoid of truth) "One time, on a trip to Amsterdam, I got high as a kite and went for a dive in the canal. It was fun, and it really brought out the colors of the dead leaves on the bottom." Would THAT be a violation of the TOS? After all, it isn't against US or Florida law to smoke weed in the Netherlands. If so, could a poster avoid having his or her questionable opinions removed by prefacing them with "One time, in a country where such things are legal, I..."

Thoughtful post. Thanks.:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom