Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still with Rick on this. Maybe it's because of having someone killed by a drunk stoner or because I myself do neither and have not for a number of years. Even though when I was sick this past weekend a shot of ginger brandy would have been real nice I know it would not have ended there. I dive for the pureness of it. Doing something that is not natural and being totally at ease with it. The sound of my breathing which eventually is not noticed either and the weightlessness. Why anyone would pollute this experience or somehow artifically try to enhance it is beyond me. I said before I did these things in my youth but at this point in my life where I'm comfortable with who I am and what I am makes artifical stimulation or relaxation unnecessary. And again, put me in a position where my safety, security, or freedom is at risk and we will have a big problem.

JimLap:
I'm still with Rick on this. Maybe it's because of having someone killed by a drunk stoner or because I myself do neither and have not for a number of years. Even though when I was sick this past weekend a shot of ginger brandy would have been real nice I know it would not have ended there. I dive for the pureness of it. Doing something that is not natural and being totally at ease with it. The sound of my breathing which eventually is not noticed either and the weightlessness. Why anyone would pollute this experience or somehow artifically try to enhance it is beyond me. I said before I did these things in my youth but at this point in my life where I'm comfortable with who I am and what I am makes artifical stimulation or relaxation unnecessary. And again, put me in a position where my safety, security, or freedom is at risk and we will have a big problem.

You don't have to defend your position - You've had a different experience than other people on these boards, and perhaps it's to everyones benefit, really.

Hate to bring bob marley into this, as I absolutly despise the stereotyped pot culture that has unfortunately surrounded such a prolific and significant cultural figure - but I always consider what his thoughts on the subject were.

"You have to have an absolute respect for those who do not smoke."

You thought I was going to quote something more prolific? :2tongue: Nope. It's as simple as that.

I have to admit I used to enjoy the occasional spliff as a teenager but would never have contemplated diving wasted. In fact I have vauge recollections that I could do very little while ripped:D

I don't think I could handle it these days....too old

Greetings, Happy Divers !!!!

I have deleted a couple of posts in this thread. Why? The posts indicated an advocation of the use of a controlled substance while scuba diving.

The ScubaBoard.com does not condone or advocate the use of controlled substances or illegal activities.

This thread is a very interesting one, and it addresses an issue that is very common is certain diving locales. We encourage the enlightened discussion of such topics, but we can't support the advocation of actions that increase the possibility of accident or of those that are illegal.

The topic or whether or not one would dive with an impaired buddy is an exceedingly important one. We all should be conscious of our buddy's state of mind and being before a dive.

Your personal choices are just that, personal. But keep in mind that what you post here can have a direct effect and influence upon a new and impressionable diver. Let's try to keep everyone as safe as possible.

Thanks for your understanding . . .

The Kraken

It's now legal to possess and use, in Mexico, so next time in Cozumel, if the diving isn't enough to get you high, I guess you just go to the back of the boat with the other smokers and have right at it.

Personally, I have been smoke-free for 35 days, and I love the way I feel! I love the way that taking a nice deep clean breath feels, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it benefits my SAC-rate. :)

Nothing against anyone who smokes ganja or cigarettes. Personally, I'm free. I fought damn hard to be free, and I have a good time just the way I am. I fully intend to remain free. :thumb:

The Kraken:
This thread is a very interesting one, and it addresses an issue that is very common is certain diving locales. We encourage the enlightened discussion of such topics, but we can't support the advocation of actions that increase the possibility of accident or of those that are illegal.

The topic or whether or not one would dive with an impaired buddy is an exceedingly important one. We all should be conscious of our buddy's state of mind and being before a dive.

MR K - That doesn't sound too fair, that people can write how they don't want to dive with someone who has smoked pot, but people who posted about their diving after smoking pot have had their posts deleted? (I've been lurking, but not posting)

It seems like your post is saying "feel free to post your anti-marijuana posts here" but "scubaboard doesn't condone drug use, so don't post anything pro-marijuana here" (although alcohol abuse is not tabu)

Just an observation... :D

Congrats, F/W !!!

Hang tough, Dude !!!

the K

The Kraken:
.......or of those that are illegal.
Well I think that by far the majority is clearly getting the message across that it's not a good idea. On the other hand I think that a board that professes to be *international* might actually realize that it's not illegal everywhere. Why not just be honest and tell us that *morality imposed from above* is the new game in town?

FWIW...maybe I missed it but I didn't actually see anyone advocating the use of drugs before diving...a couple said they'd done it yes....but they weren't advocating it now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom