Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom line in the US is that it's illegal to possess and illegal to use. That makes users and "holders" crooks, regardless of any opinion or perception as to its harmfulness or harmlessness.
Don't even think of bringing that stuff around a dive boat. You may think you have a "right" to break the law on your own turf and on your own time; that's between you and your friendly local LEO. But "your turf" doesn't include a room or a boat where there are non-participants in your illegal activity.
Rick

Harsh, dude! I had no idea how many people were so hostile to the herb! This whole trip is like a flash-back, man.

I started diving ten years ago, and then had a long break. Since I've started back again, a lot of things in my life have changed. One of which is no more wake'n'bake. So, did I dive stoned? I must have, 'cuz back then, I did EVERYTHING stoned. No issues. Would I do it now? I don't think I would; I think if it was offered to me before the dive, I'd try to get them to save it (one) for after.

Would I dive with someone who's stoned? Depends. I don't have many regular buddies at my new location yet, so almost everybody's an Insta-Buddy. It's my belief that unless you are damn sure you can rely on your buddy, you're basically on your own. But if I dove for a long time with someone, and got to know their skill level, and got to the point where I felt I could depend on them, and then learned that they had been toking that whole time and I could never tell; I might consider it.

But for me, I wouldn't dive high. I have too much trouble figuring out those altitude dive tables!

in the event of any emergency, would this person react quickly to given instructions?

someone in shock and being no help is one thing...... someone being stoned and too stupid to react is another.

i dont need a dive budy acting narked at 15ft either - they call it dope for a reason.

Staying on the subject....:

On my second ever dive I was drunk. On a holiday in Mexico about 10 years ago I did a "Discover Scuba Diving" experience (Try a Dive with an instructor) with a local dive center in Cancun. Dive #1 no problems, I had absolutly no clue what so ever, but ok.

The lunch-break was at the beach next to the dive-center and they served tequila to go with the solid foods. The instructors went "Salud" and so did I. It ended with the instructor teasing me before the #2 dive, because I only had six tequilas in the lunch break. We where both very, very drunk.

I can't really remember that dive. And I will never do something like that again. If you are intoxicated don't dive. It it really simple.

And sometimes it is also worth to smell the divemasters breath - specially in resort settings - some divemaster are also on holiday, just a very long holiday.

We should keep in mind that we ALL have naturally occurring internal opiate and cannabidiol neurotransmittors in our brains. Whether we imbibe or not, our brains are chemically turbocharged. Endorphins and enkephalins, testosterone and estrogen, adrenaline and thousands of others. Scientists discover new neurotransmittors all the time.

The history of Western civilization is one of inebriation. Water was lethal, wine and beer were the only liquids that one could drink and not die from disease. Even inebriated, Plato and Socrates did pretty well. They could be my dive buddies anyday!:coffee:

Nitrox50:
Staying on the subject....:

On my second ever dive I was drunk. On a holiday in Mexico about 10 years ago I did a "Discover Scuba Diving" experience (Try a Dive with an instructor) with a local dive center in Cancun. Dive #1 no problems, I had absolutly no clue what so ever, but ok.

The lunch-break was at the beach next to the dive-center and they served tequila to go with the solid foods. The instructors went "Salud" and so did I. It ended with the instructor teasing me before the #2 dive, because I only had six tequilas in the lunch break. We where both very, very drunk.

I can't really remember that dive. And I will never do something like that again. If you are intoxicated don't dive. It it really simple.

And sometimes it is also worth to smell the divemasters breath - specially in resort settings - some divemaster are also on holiday, just a very long holiday.

I think a lot of people have had similar experiences - I mistakenly dove after waking up drunk - A friend of mine just returned from a cruise and participated in discover scuba drunk as well.

I can say confidently that both actions were bad ones - But pretending it's uncommon and having knee-jerk reactions about isn't appropriate either.

Smoking a blunt and going for a dive sounds really appealing - And in an ideal world where people don't make miscalculations, drown, or get DCS, I wouldn't even think twice about trying it - But honestly, everyone here has pretty much come to same consensus in some terms, it IS a risk to dive impaired, and one that is not distributed fairly at all.

Diving on acid? I can only begin to imagine what an absolute mindbender that would have been (Drbill, LOL) - But I would NEVER in a million years consider doing it. I'll just take dr.bill's word that it was quite an experience, and one to not be repeated and leave it at that.

rbolander:
I think a lot of people have had similar experiences - I mistakenly dove after waking up drunk - A friend of mine just returned from a cruise and participated in discover scuba drunk as well.

I can say confidently that both actions were bad ones - But pretending it's uncommon and having knee-jerk reactions about isn't appropriate either.

Smoking a blunt and going for a dive sounds really appealing - And in an ideal world where people don't make miscalculations, drown, or get DCS, I wouldn't even think twice about trying it - But honestly, everyone here has pretty much come to same consensus in some terms, it IS a risk to dive impaired, and one that is not distributed fairly at all.

Diving on acid? I can only begin to imagine what an absolute mindbender that would have been (Drbill, LOL) - But I would NEVER in a million years consider doing it. I'll just take dr.bill's word that it was quite an experience, and one to not be repeated and leave it at that.

Good post.

The challenge with psychoactive substances is time dilation. What may be great while having sex or listening to Pink Floyd, may be the Grim Reaper for a diver losing track of the 'minute to minute' and 'psi to psi' world. When we become one with NOW, time ceases....meanwhile we suck our tanks empty. :coffee:

tonka97:
Good post.

The challenge with psychoactive substances is time dilation. What may be great while having sex or listening to Pink Floyd, may be the Grim Reaper for a diver losing track of the 'minute to minute' and 'psi to psi' world. When we become one with NOW, time ceases....meanwhile we suck our tanks empty. :coffee:

agreed - I'd much rather sit at home and worry about having a horrible accident dialing out for pizza after smoking a spliff than worrying about the oh-so-troublesome air PSI business. :popcorn:

Diving stoned would be a drag. What would you do when you got the munchies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom