Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
Most folks are aware of their impairment when they are gutter crawling, snot slinging drunk.

I love that description! Thats awesome!! :rofl3:

*writes that down*

Kim:
So guys...humour me here......

Not that I am in any way advocating diving stoned - I think it's a bad idea. However, considering that apparently LOT'S of people have done....or still do.....how many accidents have been caused by this reason? In fact (playing Devil's Advocate a little!!!), how is anyone sure that accidents haven't been averted by the fact that someone was laid back enough not to panic in a potentially dangerous situation and did the right thing...(albeit rather slowly!)????[/QUOT

It is difficult to prove a negative (the lack of accidents). Impairment is impairment whether caused by alcohol, weed, or prescription medications.

The majority of automobile accidents involving DUI/DUID drivers involve those who are impaired; the couple of drinks, couple of tokes, couple of shots of Nyquil drivers.

It is a matter of focus; accidents in scuba are generally a chain of events, if one event was dealt with the chain would stop. The research indicates that the series of events divides the attention of the victim and things go from bad to worse, because of the inability to focus on one event when the attention was divided.

adurso:
Kim:

Not that I am in any way advocating diving stoned - I think it's a bad idea. However, considering that apparently LOT'S of people have done....or still do.....how many accidents have been caused by this reason? In fact (playing Devil's Advocate a little!!!), how is anyone sure that accidents haven't been averted by the fact that someone was laid back enough not to panic in a potentially dangerous situation and did the right thing...(albeit rather slowly!)????[/QUOT

It is difficult to prove a negative (the lack of accidents). Impairment is impairment whether caused by alcohol, weed, or prescription medications.

The majority of automobile accidents involving DUI/DUID drivers involve those who are impaired; the couple of drinks, couple of tokes, couple of shots of Nyquil drivers.

It is a matter of focus; accidents in scuba are generally a chain of events, if one event was dealt with the chain would stop. The research indicates that the series of events divides the attention of the victim and things go from bad to worse, because of the inability to focus on one event when the attention was divided.
Does not getting the "QUOTE" brackets right when you are posting signify *impairment* ? :D (Sorry...just joking here! :wink: ) Still...you didn't answer the question. We aren't talking about car accidents or the 'negative'! When people (including me!!!) are furiously posting that it's bad to dive stoned...I have to wonder what actual evidence that's based on in reality. I really don't mean..."well yeah...you're impaired man...everybody knows that...it's illegal...it's really not cool!!!" - I mean reality.

Kim:

Not that I am in any way advocating diving stoned - I think it's a bad idea. However, considering that apparently LOT'S of people have done....or still do.....how many accidents have been caused by this reason? In fact (playing Devil's Advocate a little!!!), how is anyone sure that accidents haven't been averted by the fact that someone was laid back enough not to panic in a potentially dangerous situation and did the right thing...(albeit rather slowly!)????
Kim - this is a good point.

Also - more food for thought... is that marijuana has been legalized in many places in the United States, and elsewhere in the world.

(I'm not advocating anything here - just stating fact)

Fish_Whisperer:
Thanks, Pal. I'm done with sickarettes. Really and truly done. They have absolutely no attraction for me, anymore. :)

I totally agree with your method of ending the cig addiction. In 1973 I used the same technique (2-3 pack/day smoker) with a modification.

While using my favorite entheogen (this was the 70s after all), I was meditating, watching the flow of my breath, and truly FEELING the primal difference between smoke and air

There was NO comparison. Air felt exquisite; the smoke was just in the way of enjoying air.

Threw cigarettes in trash; never went back.

The entheogen allowed me to clearly perceive what I was doing to my body.

Truth will set you FREE.:coffee:

tonka97:
The entheogen allowed me to clearly perceive what I was doing to my body.
HHhhaaarrrrrr! Coffee through the nose on that one!
Rick :D

Back
Top Bottom