Marianna, FL - Feb, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On Feb 15, Dan, Steve and I departed Austin at about 1045 am and headed for Marianna, FL. This would be the first trip to Merritt's Mill Pond for Steve and for me, but Dan had been there a number of times before. We arrived about 1245 am on the 16th. Lee, who was going to be diving with Dan on this trip, had already arrived and we went straight to the trailer and got some much appreciated sleep.

We arrived at Cave Adventurers the next morning at nine and there was ice on the water. I am not sure what the temp was but it was cold and there was a wind blowing. We rented a pontoon boat from the shop and headed out to Jackson Blue.

Merritts Mill Pond is a 202-acre impoundment with crystal clear water with Cypress trees lining the banks. It varies in width from 100 to 400 yards and is 4.5 miles long. Average depth is 6 feet with a maximum channel depth of 12 feet. It is fed by a number of springs, the largest being Jackson Blue.

Dan & Lee would be doing staged scooter dives into the caves in the area, Steve was taking his cavern class and I was just going to hang out and enjoy my first trip to Jackson Blue.

I managed to make quite a few trips into this beautiful cavern over the three days and took lots of pictures and video. Water temp was 68 df and visiblity was incredible. This was by far the largest of the 5 caverns I have been in so far and contained large limestone boulders and lots of fossils. I found a max depth of 51' and it was about 35' at the top of the boulders. The entrance is quite large, about 5' x 25' and then narrows to about 12' x 5' before opening up into the cavern which I estimate is about 50-60' wide and over 150' long.

I have posted 45 pictures here
and will get some video posted soon. Here are a few picts and a couple of links with information.

Willie

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
JB is a beautiful system. The gold line starts at 110', and that is about the end of the cavern zone. Even that is pushing is a little if you haven't done many cavern dives. That room that you refer to as the cavern goes back another 100' or so before dropping down to 95'. It's humbling to think that the rock you're swimming over in that room was once part of the ceiling.

!!!! Willie good report and excl. pictures.....what gin clear water !!!! Looking forward to your video. Glad you had a fun/safe trip east. :D

Those are great pics Willie, thanks for posting!

It was a good trip.

Got to see some incredible stuff back in JB.

Weather could have been a little warmer...., but aside from that it was a lot of fun.

-Dan

Willie,
Great photography. Nick is a standup guy, Steve made a good choice for a Inst.
Edd is another standup guy and runs a 1st class operation. How was the flow @ JB.
Will be there in about a week.

Again great photography
Dave

Teknadv3x:
Great photography. Nick is a standup guy ... Edd is another standup guy and runs a 1st class operation. How was the flow @ JB.
Thanks for the complements on the photography. It sure was fun. I was very impressed with Nick. He worked those guys pretty hard, but in a very productive manner, not just for the sake of it. I was very impressed with Edd's operation as well. He busted his butt to do everything he could to help out as did Gordon. Gordon said the flow was about 1/3 of normal. It seemed like it was stronger Sat & Sun, but I think that is just because I was more tired. :)

Willie

wet-willie:
. Gordon said the flow was about 1/3 of normal. It seemed like it was stronger Sat & Sun, but I think that is just because I was more tired. :)

Willie

Now I feel like kid on the night before Xmas.

Again thanks for the great post

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom