Mares X Vision Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my X-vision. Other people i know with X-visions all like theirs (if it fits them and it certainly doesnt fit everyone).

Several years old now and still going strong.

cerich:
You sir, are an expert at well written but meaningless dribble.

In simple grade 8 english, (which if indeed you do have a higher education you will know is optimum for public communication using the written word) what is your issue with Mares/Dacor? You have extrapolated experiences with other brands of masks to the X Vision without any proof and bitterly complained that Dacor offers no support for for a product that exists solely in your head.

How can any of us take what you say with any more than a large grain of salt?

Before I pull the splinter from my brother's eye allow me to extract the rafter from my own ... I meant dissent not descent in my post feel free to blame it on the diving. However, I believe the term you intended was drivel (garbage; a worthless message) not dribble (like bouncing a basket ball or an irradic trickle of water). I do have a college education. It is less likely, without this education I'd be working for a Fortune 2 International Electronics Engineering Corporation in a managerial role, especially in one of their few strategic U.S. acquisitions.

Honestly, I wasn't aware my message was being misunderstood by anyone, as you are the first to post the notion it was incomprehensible. I'm not sure what you meant by "extrapolated experiences with other masks" beyond perhaps my direct comparison between the design of attaching the hard clips (temples) directly to the soft mask skirt vs the more common design of attaching to the hard frame. I viewed the passionate responses from several people as proof of a clear understanding of exactly the point to which I focused my words. Turn about being fair play, seems to me any 8th grader could comprehend it <wink>.

But in the interest of summarizing the Mares/Dacor concern, I can only refer to my many posts on this subject for years on this board. These represent as a body the entire breadth and scope of my opinion on this manufacturer and their ways, practices, and business. I have certainly not been shy about being outspoken regarding them specifically. However, I'd like to believe each time I've done my best to focus on specifics, to avoid ambiguity and generalities and to avoid personal attacks which don't add anything to the conversation.

I will continue to speak out regards injustices, deficencies, improper practices, poor design and any other subject I have experience and for which I'm motivated to share. To this end I've also not hidden my intention. Returning to the point of this thread, I spoke my opinion and personal experience regarding this mask product. I intended this as a direct response for the benefit of readers who are sincerely considering arguments both for and against this particular purchase. I interpreted the words of this thread's originator as a just such a request, to which I provided my $.02 worth. I close by adding I respect those who have posted information to the contrary, perhaps it's asking too much to ask for reciprocation. Please don't choke on that grain of salt, I've observed it's easier to swallow when dissolved in water :)

Please enjoy the underwater world through your X-Vision (if you own one).

I also have an X-vision (~2yrs) and I love it. Only leakage I get is when I have hair or something breaking the seal.

I broke my Oceanic back-up mask (my son dropped it). I am in the market for a new mask (which is why I am at the Scubaboard).

FYI - I am 95% sure I will buy another X-Vision (but I am going to do a little more research).

DiverBuoy:
The #1 mask style returned to the 5 shops I've worked for are designs where the hard clips attach to the silicon directly. QUOTE]

I have an X-vision with aftermarket perscription lenses glued on as this was early - 3 years ago when I bought the mask and no one had perscription lenses that fit the opening. I have about 242 dives with them and have had no problems except for the strap breaking. I live in the Northwest US so overheating in my Jeep isn't that much of a problem around here. The mask is leak free for the most part although I have dives that for one reason or another I don't seat it properly or smile too much and I have some leaking. I did buy an Xstream as a backup mask and am waiting for my next checkup before I put perscription lenses in that one. I think I would like to try the new smaller skirt to see if that works better.

Thanks for your opinion on the clip location, I hadn't heard of this being a problem or design weakness before. For all this clammering for stastistics from the manufacturers, do you actually have statistics from these shops where you have worked? I know the shop I frequent sells quite a few of them and I intend to ask them whether they experience returns for this reason.

jason

UB:
FYI - I am 95% sure I will buy another X-Vision (but I am going to do a little more research).

My backup mask is also an X-Vision. In fact, I have 3 of them, one in storage in case Mares discontinue the range.

But I will take a look at the new ScubaPro Premier when it hits dive shops around here (http://www.scubapro.com/products/fms/m_premier/m_premier.asp).

Regards
Peter

DiverBuoy:
I will continue to speak out regards injustices, deficencies, (I believe you have a deficiency with your spelling) improper practices, poor design and any other subject I have experience and for which I'm motivated to share.

You know... may just want to let this one die... Let's check some more quick stats. 45 posts on this thread... all of them, overwhelmingly say they like the mask and have had no problems... other than your post... and you don't own one.

Over 1200 views of this thread... and not one person who can say they had the skirt tear where the strap attaches.

Our shop... the largest single store Mares Retailer in the county, selling all 3 versions of the mask... and not one return. And you want to talk about hot cars? Come on down to Texas in august. Where do you think they got the expression "Texas Toast".

The X vision family has been very popular, and I'm glad to see they just came out with the other colors for the Mid Vision for those who have narrower faces. Now more people will be able to wear it.

I am definitely getting one of the "vision" series masks. Just cant figure out which one is better suited for my personal needs. I just cant make up my mind between the X or the "pure" series. Up until now I have been diving the SCUBApro frameless. I have no complaints but the mask is getting a little old (10 years) and I am really interested in trying a clear skirt. Actually I havent had a dive on a clear skirt in so long that I, honestly, cant remember what the heck its like! Anyway, that's my two cents.

robway034:
I am definitely getting one of the "vision" series masks. Just cant figure out which one is better suited for my personal needs. I just cant make up my mind between the X or the "pure" series. Up until now I have been diving the SCUBApro frameless. I have no complaints but the mask is getting a little old (10 years) and I am really interested in trying a clear skirt. Actually I havent had a dive on a clear skirt in so long that I, honestly, cant remember what the heck its like! Anyway, that's my two cents.
I have the purevision (black skirt) and been using it for a year now. No problems with it.

robway034:
Actually I havent had a dive on a clear skirt in so long that I, honestly, cant remember what the heck its like!

I prefer clear skirts. You can see through them.... :wink:

Seriously, I recently did one dive with the X-vision clear skirt then a couple of hours later, did a dive with the X-vision black skirt. For normal diving, the clear skirt definitely gives a feeling of openness, with the black skirt more of a tunnel-vision effect.

For underwater photography the black skirt has a slight advantage of keeping one's attention on the viewfinder, with possible downside that you'll not notice the whaleshark cruising past.

But, with the clear skirt, you need to keep the mask in its box except for when actually diving or it will go an ugly yellow-brown color.

Regards
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom