Mares X Vision Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two X-Visions. I like them Both :D

I don't dive one (backup). My thought is that why dive your backup on a regular basis... it's a backup! If you wear/break one for whatever reason, but you've been diving them both on a regular basis, you are much more likely to have issues with the backup.. right?

They both fit very well however :D

I had an Aqualung Mythos. It fit me well, but the Mares so far is leak free. I can't say that about the Mythos, but likely fit along with my Stach! However the frame on my Mythos broke. Somehow it got bent, and the plastic was sticking out at an odd angle. This may have happened in travel.

So seems to me that the rigid plastic frame is a failure point on some masks.

I've only got 5 dives on the XVision, so impossible to say it's super durable, but others I know have over 100 dives on this mask without issue.

I'd highly recommend the Mares, and if mine breaks, well, I guess I get another....

Unfortunately the Mares experts have copped out on the challenge ... what about those NUMBERS? I must say OUTCOME AS PREDICTED. I contacted Mares directly and there was no stock and it's "not" being manufactured anymore ... of course wonderful shops I'm associated with are happy to help divers discard Mares and upgrade to a better product. (In case you can't tell, I'm not a proponent).

DiverBuoy:
Unfortunately the Mares experts have copped out on the challenge ... what about those NUMBERS? I must say OUTCOME AS PREDICTED. I contacted Mares directly and there was no stock and it's "not" being manufactured anymore ... of course wonderful shops I'm associated with are happy to help divers discard Mares and upgrade to a better product. (In case you can't tell, I'm not a proponent).

Wow dude... take three deep breaths, count to 10. Try to relax a bit. I actually run a business, dealing with hundreds of customers a day who actually want to buy a product, or get advice on buying decisions, so I really can't take the time to drop everything to chase down some numbers for someone who is on a rampage about something as simple as a mask design. I pulled my numbers last night, since they've had the X - vision, it became so popular, the brought out the pure vision, and now the mid vision for smaller faces. Between the 3 styles, we have sold 2,384 masks. Zero returns. Talking to Mares, they have had very few come back. Fractions of a percent.

Besides, you are on a public forum board with tens of thousands of members. So far, virtually everyone who has posted on this thread other than you has said they like the mask. Not one person has said they had a problem with the straps...

If this was a "design flaw" don't you think perhaps one person on this board would have had one that failed? What about those NUMBERS? Zero reported failures on this board... that is the OUTCOME I PREDICTED.

I was so happy with my Mares X-Vision that I bought a second one, just in case I lost or broke the first one. And then I bought a 3rd one and put it into dry storage just in case Mares pull the product line one day.

For me, it seals well, has great vision, especially for looking down at gauges, is very comfortable and seems to be rugged enough. The only problem I had was the little round plastic stopper popped off one of the strap holders. The dive shop replaced it immediately.

Regards
Peter

DiverBuoy:

Curious,

What is your personal issue with Mares, or ScubaToys? Why the assumption that every retail business owner is somehow in kahoots with every vendor they choose to do business with, has no free will to choose what lines they carry, and it's an us (the consumer) against them (retailer/manufactor) scenerio?

I see this type of negativity on Camera boards as well when a product has a defect (regardless of if it's isolated, or impacts an entire line) internet posters act as if Nikon (for example) is somehow out to ripp everyone off by selling defective products. IMO the LAST thing a manufactor, or retailer wants to deal with is a recall or issues due to bad product design, or defective manufacturing.

I'm NOT suggesting that the XVision is defective. If Mares introduced a product that requiremed them to repair under warranty even 5% of the products sold, I'm guessing they would pull it fast, and redesign it as they would be loosing $$$. The margins on masks just can't be that high.

In any event, want to share something other than random statistics with little substance? You demand numbers from ScubaToys and Mares (which Larry provided), yet you offer up little in the way of anything verifiable to back your position, and you've been somewhat rude about the whole thing. :11:

scubatoys:
Wow dude... take three deep breaths, count to 10. Try to relax a bit. I actually run a business, dealing with hundreds of customers a day who actually want to buy a product, or get advice on buying decisions, so I really can't take the time to drop everything to chase down some numbers for someone who is on a rampage about something as simple as a mask design. I pulled my numbers last night, since they've had the X - vision, it became so popular, the brought out the pure vision, and now the mid vision for smaller faces. Between the 3 styles, we have sold 2,384 masks. Zero returns. Talking to Mares, they have had very few come back. Fractions of a percent.

Besides, you are on a public forum board with tens of thousands of members. So far, virtually everyone who has posted on this thread other than you has said they like the mask. Not one person has said they had a problem with the straps...

If this was a "design flaw" don't you think perhaps one person on this board would have had one that failed? What about those NUMBERS? Zero reported failures on this board... that is the OUTCOME I PREDICTED.

A Righteous Reply Larry. Very Nice.

Wow, DiverBuoy...did an X-Vision run over your dog or something? You're on a crusade! :wink:

X-Vision is the best-fitting mask I have ever used. I am not particularly gentle on my equipment and take no special care with my mask...just shove it wherever, and after taking it on many dive trips by air and automobile, I have yet to notice any wear and tear issues.

It fit me much better than the Big Eyes, which leaked at the sides, and it has a wider field of view than that mask.

DiverBuoy, if your complaints about the design stem from issues involved with leaving it in a hot car, well...DUH! Don't leave soft silicone products in a hot car. You do that, then you deserve to buy a new mask. I wrecked some Phish tapes that way one time, but it's not the design of the tapes that caused it, dig?

I can't see it tearing unless the mask was skull-crushing tight. YMMV.

I just ordered an X-Vision from Scuba Toys. The price is hard to beat and they're shipping it today.
When I was in Cozumel I visited the large Mare's store and had a chance to try on masks. The X-Vision fit very well and the skirt was soft and comfortable. I also really like the shape of the nose piece which is easier to pinch than my Aeris Sea Star.
Rex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom