Mares X Vision Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiffany

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great input thus far everyone! My boyfriend and I have decided to suck it up and buy masks with corrective lenses for our vacation in March. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Mares X Vision Mask (I know there's a link below about it leaking, which doesn't sound too promising but I'd like to hear others' experiences!) We would prefer the pop-in lenses mostly as a cost issue. Also, since the lenses only come in 1/2 increments, but real prescription glasses come in 1/4 increments), does this ever present a problem for anyone in between (i.e. with my prescription of -1.5, -3.25, and astigmatisms in both eyes will I be okay)?

Thanks!

Most good dive masks don't leak by nature. VERY Rarely. It is usually more because a mask doesn't fit the person who is wearing it. You will find that some masks fit you better than someone with a different size/structure of the head. This is almost always the case. Get fitted for a mask. You want the inside seal to fit around your nose, cheeks and most importantly the eyes. When you squint slightly, it shouldn't break the seal. If you look in a mirror you can see if it comes too close or not.

I would recommend having someone experienced show you how to fit the mask to your head. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference.

very soft silicone but i didnt get a good fit and went to the evo mask

I've been pretty happy with the mares x-vision masks. I have the pop-in corrective lenses. I told my eye doctor that I was going to be getting a mask, and what to do about the lenses since I have astigmatism as well. He wrote me a perscription that was close to my normal strength but that worked with the pop-in lenses. -2.0 for both sides is I believe what i ended up with. It was definately a nice way to go with the correction lenses, I ended up getting 2 masks (one for backup when cave diving), and with 2 of them with correction lenses I ended up cheaper than just one seavision mask. Of course that is comparing apples and oranges, but I am still pretty pleased with the mares x-vision and the corrective lenses. If the mask fits you well, go for it.

Matt

Hi stiffany,

When you try on the x-vision, you should be aware we also now offer an x-vision mid which has the same frame, but a smaller skirt which will help people with smaller and/or narrower faces.

As for the complaints about leaking, keep in mind this is one of the best selling masks in the world. The amount of defects has been very few, on a percentage basis it is minimal and Mares does stand behind it's products.

Thanks,

Phil

I have two X Vision, I love them and sometimes I would think to share the spare with my wife if she is nice. BUT, nothing beats a good oval mask. N

I started with the Big Eyes mask and had minor problems with leakage. It is really a matter of fit more than anything else.

However, I have been using the Mares X-Vision since they first came out. Great mask with a great field of vision, also easy to clear. I just updated my masks with the Mares Pure Vision and I am even happier. So..... now I have 2 Pure Visions and 2 X-Visions as backup.

Shop around and see what works best for you, but if it fits you cannot go wrong with the X-Vision. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

Both my wife and I have the X-Vision with the factory corrective lenses.
My wife has astigmatism and doesn't have any problems eventhough she was concerned about it.
Very good fitting mask to my face and never leaked.

Now mind you... I'm not an optomitrist (I don't think I can even spell it), but I am typing this from a Holiday Inn express... so I'm probably right.

I've found that when reading your prescription, you get 3 numbers. The first is what you would use for drop in lenses... like the -2.5. The next number is the important one in your astigimatism. Based on us trying it with folks... if that number is less than 100 - you can do the drop ins. If over that... better have them custom ground. And the third number... doesn't matter.

I'm sure some real eye doctor can explain all this stuff, but the cylinder and axis numbers have something to do with the flattening and rotating of the eye. The way it was explained to me, it should be round - like a basketball. Now if it is a bit pushed in going from front to back, you need correction. If you have an astigimatism, then it is also squashed top and bottom... so it looks more like a football, then rotate that slightly on it's axis... and viola' you get to spend a bunch more for your lenses. If it's bad enough.

Again... if this is optomitrically incorrect (is that a word?) - I push the blame off on someone who explained it to me. But after putting about 500 people into masks with lenses, it seems to hold true.

stiffany:
Thanks for all of the great input thus far everyone! My boyfriend and I have decided to suck it up and buy masks with corrective lenses for our vacation in March. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Mares X Vision Mask (I know there's a link below about it leaking, which doesn't sound too promising but I'd like to hear others' experiences!) We would prefer the pop-in lenses mostly as a cost issue. Also, since the lenses only come in 1/2 increments, but real prescription glasses come in 1/4 increments), does this ever present a problem for anyone in between (i.e. with my prescription of -1.5, -3.25, and astigmatisms in both eyes will I be okay)?

Thanks!
i use an xvision and like it very much... i read the mask leaking/ frame chipping thread a long time ago (after i bought it) but my mask gets pretty knocked around (in its box) and is still solid as ever

Jag

Back
Top Bottom