Mares X Vision Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that a mask fit is more fit than mask. I think there are a lot of great masks on the market, it is just different mask fit different people.

I have one I like it. I need a 1.50 magnifcation to read but don't need it in the water. Because of the natural magnification that water provides. Thank God.

Welcome to the board.

Carl

I have two with the factory prescriptions. They work great for me...

#1 Design Flaw - the X-Vision mask strap attaches directly to the skirt, not the hard frame. Though Mares used slightly thicker material at the connection point it's still attached to the silicon ... this becomes a primary failure point. The problem is if it tears underwater here ... it's not the same as a mask strap breaking. You now have a hole in your mask.

DiverBuoy:
#1 Design Flaw - the X-Vision mask strap attaches directly to the skirt, not the hard frame. Though Mares used slightly thicker material at the connection point it's still attached to the silicon ... this becomes a primary failure point. The problem is if it tears underwater here ... it's not the same as a mask strap breaking. You now have a hole in your mask.

Is that a flaw? We have yet to have one returned for ripping there. If your mask rips there, you probably have your strap way, way, way too tight. And the frameless masks like the scubapro frameless have been doing that for years. I've seen lots of hard clips broken... but never one tear in a mask where the attachment was to the skirt... So which design is flawed?

Also, since they are on the skirt, it makes it to where you can easily fold that baby flat and drop it in a pocket. A lot of guys who get full face masks from me pick up the x-vision as a backup since it packs away so nice.

The #1 mask style returned to the 5 shops I've worked for are designs where the hard clips attach to the silicon directly. Typically the explanation is the mask got hot sitting in the back of a car or exposed to the sun for too long when they stretched it over their face the hard clip pulled a hole in the skirt material. Don't think this X-Vision design has been around long enough for the wear and tear required, but given that 99% of all masks ever sold are not this design it does not surprise me that all the years you've been in business and all the years masks have been around that you've seen a few hard-clips break, the difference is you can fix the hard clip it's nearly impossible without an outright replacement to fix the type of tearing I've seen.

Here's a question scubatoys, since you're defending the design, and since your "in" with Mares, please give them a call for all of us and ask them how many masks they've had returned with damage on the skirt where the hard clips attach. I'd love to hear the actual numbers, if they say zero then they just lost all respect, where they are already standing on unstable ground.

Also while you are at it, ask them about the Dacor Darwin hoseless computer, and how any one of their customers who bought their hottest selling computer in their history can get a transducer replacement. That ought to be a great story too.

I have both the X-Vision and the Pure-Vision, and am thrilled with them... or was. After about 100+ dives on about each (I go from one to the other... no reason why beyond variety being the spice of life :wink:), both have started to leak.

Note: I am in in Asia, and they were bought in Singapore.

I have heard that there is a lot of issues here, but my question Phil: does MARES stand behind its products in Asia?

I know that others have had this issue and are working toward a solution. See this thread from a board for SEA http://www.finsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4423&page=1&pp=10

And, what would you recommend to solve this issue? Thanks.

DiverBuoy:
Also while you are at it, ask them about the Dacor Darwin hoseless computer, and how any one of their customers who bought their hottest selling computer in their history can get a transducer replacement. That ought to be a great story too.

That would be simple. If purchased through an authorized dealer, return it to that dealer, they will get an RA and send it back. It wil then either be repaired or replaced if under warranty.

scubatoys:
That would be simple. If purchased through an authorized dealer, return it to that dealer, they will get an RA and send it back. It wil then either be repaired or replaced if under warranty.

Larry is 100% correct. If you have a problem with any product you should bring it back to the place of purchase.

When you state Larry is "in" with Mares, Larry runs a quality business, no need to discuss this, the testaments on these boards speak for themselves. Any good retailer builds good relationships with their vendors, the purpose is to provide better customer service to the end consumer.

The buckle design/placement on the skirt is a patented design by Mares. Some benefits (as Larry stated) are the ability to fold flat, but a big one is the comfort and lack of pressure on the face from the frame when tightening. We have had minimal returns due to this design tearing (I do not know an exact number) it really has not been an issue. There are also a few "knock offs" of this design, I cannot speak to the quality of these, but if they are having a problem "you get what you pay for".

As I have stated, the X-Vision & Pure Vision are successful because Divers like the fit and performance. If they do not fit you well or you do not like the design, there are hundreds of masks out there, and as another post stated, fit is the most important factor in choosing a mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom