Mares Proton Ice or SP MK25 S600??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue:
Do you mean 10 divers buddy breathing?? I would think you would really need to get your timing down for that!!!! Is there some kind of issue with being able to deliver a continuous quantity of air from the demand valve? Maybe I'm just daft. Try me again..........

For anyone that isn't aware of the testing that Mares did on their Abyss reg have a look at http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=53

Basically they modified an abyss first stage so that they could attach 25 first stages to it and they sent 25 divers down to 40m to breath of their regs that were being supplied by a single first stage.

I have an Abyss, and it is a great reg, but I have used it on my twin tanks down to 60m and could not really pick any difference in performance between it and the Mares MR12 Akros that I had on my other tank. This is why I am happy in the future to buy Mares regs on the MR12 first stage, since they breath so well at 60m (and the MR12 is much cheaper and lighter than the Abyss first stage). Of course If I wanted to supply 25 divers simultaneously I would probably prefer to use the Abyss!

BlueDevil:
For anyone that isn't aware of the testing that Mares did on their Abyss reg have a look at http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=53

Basically they modified an abyss first stage so that they could attach 25 first stages to it and they sent 25 divers down to 40m to breath of their regs that were being supplied by a single first stage.

I have an Abyss, and it is a great reg, but I have used it on my twin tanks down to 60m and could not really pick any difference in performance between it and the Mares MR12 Akros that I had on my other tank. This is why I am happy in the future to buy Mares regs on the MR12 first stage, since they breath so well at 60m (and the MR12 is much cheaper and lighter than the Abyss first stage). Of course If I wanted to supply 25 divers simultaneously I would probably prefer to use the Abyss!

The Abyss has been taken 313m, So what, as said earlier, nearly all good quality regs can do these things. :wink:

And thanks to the poster for the link to the Mares site, That should explain how much air a MR22 can deliver :eyebrow:

SP mk25 S600 or X650 is setup for nitrox 50%.

With the aftermarket kit the mix goes to 100%.

BlueDevil:

LOL, NOW I get it!!!!! I guess it should be important to me. But there are so many other limitations on the amount of air I can use from the first stage, like the second stage, the hoses, my lungs ............. :wink:

pennypue:
LOL, NOW I get it!!!!! I guess it should be important to me. But there are so many other limitations on the amount of air I can use from the first stage, like the second stage, the hoses, my lungs ............. :wink:

The flow rate of an MR22 Abyss first stage is 4,800 litres per min. Since a 100 cuft tank holds around 2,800 litres this first stage would be capable of emtying a tank in well under a minute. The average diver has an air consumption of about 25 litres per minute. Lets say he is panicking and using double that amount, and lets assume that his buddy is also panicking and using at 50 litres per min. Between them both they are using around 100 litres per min. This is well below the 4,800 litre flow rate, and even ten severely panicking divers aren't going to come close!!! As you implied you are never going to be able to utilize a flow rate like that unless you have one hell of a set of lungs! :10:

So the cheaper MR12 first stage has a rather 'humble' flow rate of only 3,500 litres per minute. For my dives (max depth in the 50 - 60 m range) this is more than 'adequate' to supply me, and a panicking buddy if needed. This is why I recommend a Proton on an MR12 first stage (or maybe a V16 if you insist on going up market). Unless a diver is definitely going to be doing some very cold water diving and needs a regulator designed for ice diving there is little point in spending the extra money on the Ice.

"Unless a diver is definitely going to be doing some very cold water diving and needs a regulator designed for ice diving there is little point in spending the extra money on the Ice."

And therein lies my problem. I'm thinking I may end up ice diving, so I'm considering it. For the difference in price and the 'chance' that I may ice dive it's still under consideration. I HATE to have to buy something twice because I didn't consider all aspects carefully.

I appreciate the info on this. Your further explanation really pointed out to me WHY an increased flow is importants. I forgot about my poor panicked buddy!!!

pennypue:
"Unless a diver is definitely going to be doing some very cold water diving and needs a regulator designed for ice diving there is little point in spending the extra money on the Ice."

And therein lies my problem. I'm thinking I may end up ice diving, so I'm considering it. For the difference in price and the 'chance' that I may ice dive it's still under consideration. I HATE to have to buy something twice because I didn't consider all aspects carefully.

I appreciate the info on this. Your further explanation really pointed out to me WHY an increased flow is importants. I forgot about my poor panicked buddy!!!

I said this earlier but I'll mention it again, the Proton Metal is also rated for cold water diving and is $100 less. THe only difference is the first stage. check out this link to see for yourself. http://www.mares.com/product.asp?cat=7&prod=tecno&menu=1

I dove lake mead this weekend at at 75ft the temp was 50ish and my metal breathed great. I noticed no difference between 10ft in 80 degree water and 80ft in 50 degree water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom