Mares Proton Ice or SP MK25 S600??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rant...............

Why is the Proton ICE called the Proton ICE......................

Because its desgined for COLD WATER diving.

The V32 like the MR22 on the abyss are capable of delivering enough air at 40m for 25 divers................... Its been done! So you and your OOA buddy should be fine!

Personally I think its light???? nice and compact.

Rant Over...............

Mr Mares:
Rant...............

Why is the Proton ICE called the Proton ICE......................

Because its desgined for COLD WATER diving.

The V32 like the MR22 on the abyss are capable of delivering enough air at 40m for 25 divers................... Its been done! So you and your OOA buddy should be fine!

Personally I think its light???? nice and compact.

Rant Over...............

Ok, dumb question........I've noticed this mentioned earlier in the thread. And being a newbie, I must ask........

Why is it so important that it have ability to deliver enough air for two (or 25) divers? Do some setups not supply enough for two? Get a little technical, just not TOO technical.....please :)

BlueDevil:
Jason, "cottonmouth" seems to be a very individual phenomena. Some divers have a lot of trouble with it, others (myself included) never have any problem at all.

On rental regs, I was getting hideous cottonmouth and generally came out of the water with a horrible taste in my mouth and that "just got off an airplane" fatigue. Jolly ranchers after the dive helped. This is a bit disgusting, but coming up, I'd have this thick salty nasty spit. I tried spitting to see where a leak was coming from once, and not not pretty.

The Proton Ice ended that. From the first dive in Lake Tahoe through more at Monterey, I don't feel the drymouth or associated dehydration fatigue (just the common "oops, screwed up my nav and now have another long surface swim fatigue). The moisturization works really well and isn't just hype.

Ishie

pennypue:
Ok, dumb question........I've noticed this mentioned earlier in the thread. And being a newbie, I must ask........

Why is it so important that it have ability to deliver enough air for two (or 25) divers? Do some setups not supply enough for two? Get a little technical, just not TOO technical.....please :)

I stand to be corrected, but I can't think of any, no matter what manufacturer, that make a first that can't supply Air/Nitrox within Rec. limits at levels to support 10 divers, let alone 2.

The record that Mares set is nothing special, any good reg could do it.

The idea that you can overbreath a reg has got a bit twisted, When divers get stressed they tend to breath more rapidly and exhale less, this leads to a build up of carbondioxide, the diver feels like they can't breath, They can!, but they need to exhale deeply and calm down, this can be much easier said than done!!!!

There is no problem with the reg.

hope this helps :wink:

I have never seen Mares market the Ice - metal as being "humidifiers :06: "

I find it hard to belive at the temps and flow rates that much humidity would be added to the inhaled air.

Mares would have jumped on this if they thought it was a marketing point :eyebrow:

"Just add Moisture" I can see it now!!!!!!!!!!! :11:

Bigkidneys:
Hello all. I am new to diving here in Guam and am trying to get a good setup for diving while I am here for the next 2-4 years. I have not tried many regs except the standard SP R190 rentals here. My choices on island are SP, Mares, and Aqua Lung. I will only need it for the warm waters here and wouldl ike to have something that will take me into deeper diving once that time comes. I like the way the proton supposedley breathes for you and the fact that it is metal, eases some of the cotton mouth. The smallness of it as well is appealing to lessen jaw fatigue. However, there is that huge following of SP fans here as well. I have only used the R190s so I have no idea what the MK 25 S600 breathes like. Can anyone give me a good opinion of both? Naturally both LDS here only tell me of the pros andn ever the cons of the two regs. Thanks a million!

Jason

Jason:

Get yourself the S600. It breaths great. For the little extra $$, you will have a reg that will last a long long time with good care.

Mr Mares:
I have never seen Mares market the Ice - metal as being "humidifiers :06: "

I find it hard to belive at the temps and flow rates that much humidity would be added to the inhaled air.

Mares would have jumped on this if they thought it was a marketing point :eyebrow:

"Just add Moisture" I can see it now!!!!!!!!!!! :11:

It makes a heck of a difference. And almost every place I've seen the Ice advertised (haven't seen the metal advertised as much) mentions the humidifying feature, and most mention the heat retention, though I haven't noticed the latter as much (but cold doesn't bother me much, and cottonmouth does).

Not sure how much humidity it adds. Can't be too much, or it would upset my system. I get stabbing pains in my chest in high humidity, but zero humidity (like a normal regulator or like an airplane cabin) leaves me with cottonmouth and a bit fatigued. Seems to add just enough to be comfortable. Still have to be careful not to get dehydrated though. After the rental regs, dehydration wasn't an issue because the first thing I did when I got out was drink a liter of water!

Ishie

Mr Mares:
...........but I can't think of any, no matter what manufacturer, that make a first that can't supply Air/Nitrox within Rec. limits at levels to support 10 divers, let alone 2.

QUOTE]

Do you mean 10 divers buddy breathing?? I would think you would really need to get your timing down for that!!!! Is there some kind of issue with being able to deliver a continuous quantity of air from the demand valve? Maybe I'm just daft. Try me again..........

Mr Mares:
The idea that you can overbreath a reg has got a bit twisted, When divers get stressed they tend to breath more rapidly and exhale less, this leads to a build up of carbondioxide, the diver feels like they can't breath, They can!, but they need to exhale deeply and calm down, this can be much easier said than done!!!!

True, when a diver gets stressed they do tend to overbreath (hyperventilate). But they actually decrease their carbon dioxide levels (NOT increase it). The rapid breathing flushes the lungs and 'blows off' more carbon dioxide than usual. This results in a change in the pH of the blood and thus the symptoms associated with hyperventilation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom