Mares Proton Ice or SP MK25 S600??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the Proton Ice fairly recently and I love it. It's a pretty heavy reg, but once I replaced the original mouthpiece with the SeaCure, it's really comfortable.

The humidifying feature is NICE. When I was renting gear, I would always come out of the water with the nastiest case of dry mouth. Also, I'd feel more dehydrated making me feel fatigued, that sort of "after airplane" feeling. Apparently, the Ice also allows the air to warm. I'm naturally cold blooded, so to me I haven't felt much of a difference in that category.

One of the other factors in my getting the Proton Ice was the V32 1st stage, also quite heavy. It's very nice. Jim and I both tried to simulate a panic attack on it (above water, starting gasping hard and fast, gulping air) and it didn't feel at all like we were overbreathing it. When I've tried that on other regulators, after a second, I've felt a little air starved, so if you needed to pass it off to a buddy in a crisis (and breathe off your octopus), it would be likely to calm them down.

Can't speak to it above or below the others, but I am very happy with my regulator. So far, seems pretty hardy. Conditions in Monterey were not pretty last weekend, and a couple of times, due to my own stupidity, I got pummeled into the sand, effectively filling my gear. The proton didn't free flow with that much sand stuck in it, and still worked (when I've used Sherwood rentals, even a little sand seems to get them completely free flowing). Of course, after getting out, I IMMEDIATELY and thoroughly rinsed everything out.

The only downside I could really see with the Proton Ice is the increased weight, and that doesn't bother me. My instructor also said that they can be more expensive/difficult to maintain, but that Mares makes very quality fins and regs (and he's a ScubaPro man).

Ishie

Bigkidneys:
Hello all. I am new to diving here in Guam and am trying to get a good setup for diving while I am here for the next 2-4 years. I have not tried many regs except the standard SP R190 rentals here. My choices on island are SP, Mares, and Aqua Lung. I will only need it for the warm waters here and wouldl ike to have something that will take me into deeper diving once that time comes. I like the way the proton supposedley breathes for you and the fact that it is metal, eases some of the cotton mouth. The smallness of it as well is appealing to lessen jaw fatigue. However, there is that huge following of SP fans here as well. I have only used the R190s so I have no idea what the MK 25 S600 breathes like. Can anyone give me a good opinion of both? Naturally both LDS here only tell me of the pros andn ever the cons of the two regs. Thanks a million!

Jason

You'll get a different opinion from just about evrybody but here's my two cents. I have the Proton Metal. It is essentially the exact same reg but with the V-16 1st stage and its a little cheaper. The Metal is a GREAT reg. I've never used SP so I can't comment.

I have used both.
Mares Proton Ice and SP Mk25/S600.

Both are excellent performing regs, you won't lose out on anything when you choose either.

Mares and SP service support is good where I stay. So... I got the better value reg of the two - Ice. It's a good SGD$250 cheaper and it performs as well. If it's better, I can't tell the difference as both breathes easy, can't overbreathe them with two divers huffing and puffing, and breathes well in all orientation.

I have a good friend who owns a LDS. He services regs. He showed me pictures that he take of the regs he serviced. One Ice, on Mk25/S600... both about the same age and same servicing interval with similar dives... Ice is almost new inside. SP has signs of corrosion. With that, I chose the Ice.

Mk25 is a piston 1st stage, V32 is a diaphram 1st stage. Both designs with its merits and faults. I prefer the one with lesser o-rings in contact with movable parts.

You won't go wrong with either. Choose the one with easier maintenace service in your area.

wmspdi:
BTW- don't use the MK25T with Nitrox... titanium and high O2 is a bad mix... BOOM!

This is a bummer. I had really like the Proton Ice, but was told the same thing. Kaboom. I don't dive nitrox yet, but I sure I will. Not sure I want to limit myself or need another reg. :15a: oh what to do, what to do......

Ever seen anybody do it? :)

pennypue:
This is a bummer. I had really like the Proton Ice, but was told the same thing. Kaboom. I don't dive nitrox yet, but I sure I will. Not sure I want to limit myself or need another reg. :15a: oh what to do, what to do......

Ever seen anybody do it? :)

This is BS usless you are diving far above recreational Nitrox (40%) ALL regs are ok for Rec Nitrox. Call Larry at scubatoys.com he can verify. I asked this exact question before buying my Proton Metal.

Gonna buy regulator tomorrow and I was wondering if the Proton Ice is good for cold water? I was going to buy Apeks till I saw the Proton and it was $100 cheaper. So is it good for the cold water?

how cold will you be diving?

The Ice is designed for cold water. There is no extremely cold water around my region. Any divers out there who have dived the Ice in ice conditions care to share a lil?

Outlawaggie is right. Almost all moderate range regs are good for nitrox (<40%). Titanium is not good with higher O2 conc as it oxidises much easier. If you intended to dive with >40% O2, don't buy Ti regs.

Penny Pue - "I had really like the Proton Ice, but was told the same thing."
What were you told? I can't see the link in thread. If you are referring to Ice with Nitrox, it can def do nitrox. You'll just need to service it every year and change the lubs and o-rings to O2 compatible ones during service.

I dive in 60-40 degree water.

Well, I picke dup an MK 25 S550 today and have to say I am happy with it as far as it breathing for me. The only downfall is the cottonmouth I get from it after 1 dive! I was only down 39 minutes and I swear I was back in Iraq sucking down sand:( Can anyone verify if the mares ice or any of their regulators keep the cottonmouth effect at bay? Thanks again for any feedback.

Jason

spidershim123:
I dive in 60-40 degree water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom