Mares Proton Ice or SP MK25 S600??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigkidneys

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to diving here in Guam and am trying to get a good setup for diving while I am here for the next 2-4 years. I have not tried many regs except the standard SP R190 rentals here. My choices on island are SP, Mares, and Aqua Lung. I will only need it for the warm waters here and wouldl ike to have something that will take me into deeper diving once that time comes. I like the way the proton supposedley breathes for you and the fact that it is metal, eases some of the cotton mouth. The smallness of it as well is appealing to lessen jaw fatigue. However, there is that huge following of SP fans here as well. I have only used the R190s so I have no idea what the MK 25 S600 breathes like. Can anyone give me a good opinion of both? Naturally both LDS here only tell me of the pros andn ever the cons of the two regs. Thanks a million!

Jason

The S600 is probably the best breather on the market. In terms of performance, nothing beats it. The only downside of Scuba Pro's are their cold water/ice diving compatibility, where some have a tendency to freeflow, but that doesn't apply in your case. Unless the price difference is huge, I'd go with the SP.

Thanks for the insight. I am looking at about a $150 difference for the S600. Everyone here has them and I was not sure if it was a cult thing since3 out of the 4 dive shops here only carry SP or if it was because it was possibly better than the proton ice. I have not heard alot on Mares on this board so that is why i was seeking some advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Jason

CRDiver:
The S600 is probably the best breather on the market. In terms of performance, nothing beats it. The only downside of Scuba Pro's are their cold water/ice diving compatibility, where some have a tendency to freeflow, but that doesn't apply in your case. Unless the price difference is huge, I'd go with the SP.

If you're looking at the S600, why not look at the X650 too. Both uses the MK25 1st stage. Both are amazing breathers.

All my LDS don't have those. I am thinking I may have to purchase from the internet.

Vie:
If you're looking at the S600, why not look at the X650 too. Both uses the MK25 1st stage. Both are amazing breathers.

I have a MK25/X650 and Atomic SS1 for my warm water recreational rig (I use an Atomic M1 for cold water diving). My son has a Mk25/X650 with a S600 on a yellow hose for an octo. They all breath about the same (great!). The X650s design makes it less prone to freeflows in certain positions, when the cracking pressure is set very low.

The early X650s had a problem with a machine burr on one of the parts resulting in hard breathing after a few dives. These were recalled from the authorized dealers stock, and were to be repaired or replaced when returned by a customer. Enough time has passed that the X650s available from your LDS should be okay. If you buy one from the net they may be the first version, since they are grey market they were not registered with Scubapro or recalled.

I just tried a newer reg from sp. I believe it was an x650. An instructor at the local sp dealer was kind enough to lend me his. I found it didnt touch my sp titanium, but wmspdi's comment may explain this. I love the titanium, but the same model in standard materials should theoretically function as well.

I personally prefer normal size second stages, so that would shoot out the Proton Ice. However, at the LDS my wife works the best selling reg is the ice (btw, this is So. Fla we're talking about) and the feedback from most of my wife's clients is that they enjoy breathing with a reg that actually humidifies the incoming air with the moisture of the air being exhaled, which seems to be a nifty feature. I'm just not a fan of SP, but I give them their due; they are very good regs (just overpriced IMHO).

dr.zy:
I just tried a newer reg from sp. I believe it was an x650. An instructor at the local sp dealer was kind enough to lend me his. I found it didnt touch my sp titanium, but wmspdi's comment may explain this. I love the titanium, but the same model in standard materials should theoretically function as well.

It also could have been how the reg was set up. If the first stage IP was on the high side, creeping, or if the second stage was set for a high cracking pressure (say 1.25" to avoid free flows at the surface while teaching) that could have an effect.

I check the IP on my 1st stages on a regular basis and when the IP starts to rise above 145 PSI that reg is serviced. I have my second stages set at just a hair above freeflow (about .8" in water) with the cracking pressure knob dialed all the way out. When I am at the surface, or in a current, I just dial it in enough to keep it from freeflowing. I do the same with my octo reg but leave it dialed in (about 1.5") unless someone needs to breath from it. The MK25/X650 and S600 has worked well for me set up this way. My Atomic M1s are set the same way.

Because the first and second stage setup is so important I wouldn't write off any regulator based on trying just one sample.

BTW- don't use the MK25T with Nitrox... titanium and high O2 is a bad mix... BOOM!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom