Mares or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to go with the Oceanic Delta. As other posts have said, the performance is good, but servicing it yearly is much easier. I think that how well/easy a reg can be maintained should be a consideration in your purchase. Along those same lines, if you dive locally, having a good, reputable, LDS that can help you with your equipment is imporant also. I am sure some would disagree, but in the $250-$400 reg range, most of the top brands will perform well while diving. Look at all the factors in making your decision.

I just bought a Mares Abyss from Larry at Scuba Toys and can't say enough good things about them and they sell both. I don't think you can go wrong with the Abyss it is heavy but from everything I read it is one of the best and most reliable regs on the market and the only down fall I could find was they have or have had service issues. I got a great price on the reg, octo, computer, mask, fins all for less than 1000 dollars.

fringefan:
the only down fall I could find was they have or have had service issues.

Uhhhh, service issues sounds like a big downfall to me!!! How can a piece of equipment be considered "reliable" when there's issues with servicing it???

If you know anything about the Mares Abyss then you know that it is a solid reg and I would take the pepsi challenge and put it up against any reg on the market.
A friend of mine has a Mares Proton Ice and it took several weeks for a non Mares dealer to get parts but in their defense a rep from Mares was on the board and stated they know it has been an issue and it is an issue they are working to resolve.

Went to the LDS today. Was quoted $600 for the Delta 4, combo spg & octo. They don't carry Mares so I'll have to go somewhere else some other time to check out the Abyss.

fringefan:
If you know anything about the Mares Abyss then you know that it is a solid reg and I would take the pepsi challenge and put it up against any reg on the market.
A friend of mine has a Mares Proton Ice and it took several weeks for a non Mares dealer to get parts but in their defense a rep from Mares was on the board and stated they know it has been an issue and it is an issue they are working to resolve.

Fringe,
Thanks for your vote on the abyss. It is indeed a solid, high performance reg and this has been proven in the field for many years. I would like to address one issue, you quoted it took several weeks for a NON Mares dealer to get parts. How did the non Mares dealer get parts in the first place? If a LDS sells Mares products, and has a quality service center, most likely they are going to be stocking service parts for the current in line product and probably not have taken so long.

We have taken many steps to improve our supply chain both on products and parts. This has been implemented and is proving to work. While we are not perfect (yet), we have hugely improved, we are striving to be the best, and gaining ground quickly!

Happy diving and thanks for your support on the gear!

Zak

I have had a FDX10/Delta4 for a few months now, it has taken over from a Scubapro Mk10/Oceanic Omega as my main reg.
When I bought it they didn't have any DIN 1st stages so mine had the DIN adaptor without DVT fitted. There seems to be a problem with the FDX making a noise without the DVT mine is quiet.
I think I have got the adjustments on the Delta 4 sorted out but I dont think that it is any better than the Omega. The lack of a long hose is a drawback. I tried using 2 normal length hoses joined together but it wasn't succesful. I will chase up the adaptor that cerich mentioned. On the whole I think that a standard fitting swivel on the second stage that allowed the use of any hose would be better.
When I get the Omega back from service I will fit it & the Delta 4 to the FDX & try some direct comparissons.
To sum up, FDX10 - great, Delta 4 - still undecided.

Back
Top Bottom