Mares or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They both sound really good. I have never used an adjustable 2nd stage before. Is that somthing good to have, or is it just more things to play with?

actually a little of both, most play with it the first few dives, then leave it set where it is for the longest time. Then one day they find themself in a good current or on the surface for awhile and use the adjustable feature.

you're trying to get me to do what I said I wouldn't but what the heck. For 99% of diving I would pick the Delta4, if I was diving SEVERE cold (think -3c to 6c, which I have dove in years ago at the Gaspe Pen in Quebec, the fresh and salt water meeting made the top six feet like a 7-11 slushee then beuatiful clear 150 ft plus vis but darn was it cold!) I would go to the abyss.

Both of these regs are far beyond "run of the mill" in performance.

I guess so for me, but they are both great regs.

Doug Krause:
Come on Chris - make a commitment!

I knew this was coming....:wink:

Reasons I would choose the Delta 4

Lighter second stage
less likely to have second stage corrossion
I like the breathing more
The HP seat has less problems
The LP seat just works. Since the abyss stopped having the metal seats it hasn't been the same (by the way if you have one make sure the LP oriface is metal or green, if it is a white one get it changed)
I like the adjustments
It comes with the enviornmental kit and even if the Mares did I hate working on wet enviormental kits, makes a huge mess and stinks. Plus cost more every year.
The hose will plug into a standard IP port on a first stage, the Mares uses a special fitting.
The delta 4 when tuned by a tech works or it doesn't, the Mares may seem to work fine but if the tech didn't adjust the oriface correctly(and many do not) the Venturi performance is lost and the reg is now only a moderate performer.
When the Abyss is tuned to correct factory specs the purge is very soft, I like a purge to really purge when I hit it!

What I don't like on the Delta 4 is how long Doug is taking to get the 7 foot hose with swivel in:D

Hows that Doug?

SOunds like the Delta 4 is better overall. After hearing about the mechanical end of things, the Delta just may be my pick. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom