Mares or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the abyss and love it, used it in Ontario and Newfoundland and had no problems at all and I have yet to put the environment seal on. Your choice either way. But I have found that the Abyss is very light on the mouth and you don't get the fatigue that you can get on other regs. Just remember to service your reg every year to make sure it is in great working order all long with the rest of your gear B.C. etc. Good luck on your decision and Enjoy your dives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was changed from the delta 3 to delta 4? Is the new GT3 the same as the delta 3?

The entire first stage, second stage case geometry and cosmetics. Same service kit however.

cerich:
The entire first stage, second stage case geometry and cosmetics. Same service kit however.

Both user adjustments have been improved with the Delta 4 - rubberized adjustment knob for easier use with gloves, and the AVS (pre-dive/dive switch) designed for easy one-finger adjustment. The Delta 4 also comes standard with an inline swivel, as well as surge deflector plate over the diaphragm.

Doug

You also have a choice of color with the surge deflector of grey, yellow or blue. All three colors come with each Delta 4.

I bought my abyss 05 under the dacor trade-in from Debra from Surface Interval Scuba. Price was $250 and I am very happy with both price and performance. Debra is a member of SB so do a search on Dacor trade-in and sent her a PM.

Is there anyone else that has a Delta 4 that could give me a detailed review. Thanks to everyone that gave me their feedback, it has been very helpful.

Divernate,

I have the Delta 3 and as pointed out above is the same as the delta 4 (second stage only). The adjustment is great, but Ive found that I don't adjust it very much. The only problem I have had is it free flowing while gearing up in the water for a shore dive because I forgot to move the pre dive/dive switch. Other than that no problems and yes I would buy this reg again.

I have the Delta 4, with the FDX10 first stage. Let me tell you that it is a stellar performer. When I bought my Delta 4, my LDS let me spend a few hours in their pool and try out a few different regulator setups. So, I spent a few hours putting the following regs through their paces:

Oceanic Delta 4
Mares Abyss
ScubaPro Mk25/s600
Atomic M1

All of these regulators are very good, but the one that I found to be the best for me was the Oceanic Delta 4. I just loved the way it breathed, and it just felt very comfortable to use. Breathing was efortless and by tuning the adjustment knob on the second stage I could adjust the breathing to my preferences. In my opinion it blew away all the others. If I were you, I would go with the Delta 4 & FDX10 first stage. What I also liked was that it's a very light setup and doesn't weigh a lot like some others.

The Mares Abyss was a good breather too... but it just didn't feel as natural as the Delta 4. I also fet more jaw fatigue with the Abyss, and it also felt kind of "tinny". I don't know how to explain exactly what I mean... but it almost had a tin can sort of feel to it when breathing through it. Obviously it's made out of all metal, so that is probably the reason for the "tin can" feel, but I just didn't like it. Also, there was no adjustment on the second stage to adjust the breathing to my preference. Also, the first stage seems to weigh a ton! It feels like a huge chunk of metal.

My LDS had an open house promotion going on, and I got an additional percentage off the purchase and only ended up paying about $349 for the first and second stage. I added on the Alpha 8 octopus as well. I'm VERY happy with the purchase and do not have a single regret. The LDS folks were actually surpised that I picked the Delta4 over the Atomic... but to me it was just the best choice. If you have an LDS that will allow you to jump in the pool and try the reg out before you buy, then by all means you should try it out. Choosing a regulator is something that is subjective and a reg that is good for one person, might not be for another. Try it out and see how you like it. Either way, if you go with the Delta 4 I don't think you'll regret it. :D

BigWhiteSquare:
Yeah, that Mares / Dacor trade-in program is really something. $299 for an 05 Abyss, while Leisurepro is selling them (without trade-in) for $299.95. Think of all the stuff you can buy with the extra 95 cents. Like... gum?

___

They corrected their site, Bigwhitesquare. You DO need a Dacor reg to take advantage of this price. I guess I would have to throw in a pack of gum to buy from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom