Mares or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810:
I will be buying the Mares Abyss later this year to take advantage of the Dacor exchange program. It seems that at $299, it is hard to beat.

Yes it is a good price if you have an old dacor reg to trade in, you can trade in ANY brand of reg, working or not and get the Delta 4/FDX10 for $399.95

cerich:
Yes it is a good price if you have an old dacor reg to trade in, you can trade in ANY brand of reg, working or not and get the Delta 4/FDX10 for $399.95

My profile picture shows me wearing a Pacer, which is what I will be turning in. Great reg, but HEAVY! The Abyss is much lighter. Funny, but I find myself working for the company that used to make parts for that reg. Still has the tooling gathering dust on the shelf. Haven't been able to convince them to junk them yet.

You should get them to make the parts again!

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I just may go with the Delta 4. One thing that I wonder about is all the metal in the Abyss. I would think that could be a big problem over time.

Yeah, that Mares / Dacor trade-in program is really something. $299 for an 05 Abyss, while Leisurepro is selling them (without trade-in) for $299.95. Think of all the stuff you can buy with the extra 95 cents. Like... gum?

___

Well, I dove the Mares Abyss for couple hundred dives ranging from the Red Sea to the frigid winters of Canada in Nova Scotia and the Great Lakes. It always performed flawlessly without any freezing or freeflows. Excellent breather regrdless how deep or how cold. It's not environmentally sealed and I never considered it a necessity just like the adjustable second stage. FWIW, I also have 2x Apeks DS4/ATX50 and they are in no way better than the Abyss.
All the metal in the reg make it fairly heavy but it also will make for an excellent cold water reg that will last much longer than the plastic ones and are built more solid.
The Mares Abyss belongs in a group that very few regs belong. It's a group of regs that were all world record setter and went below 300 meters (about 1000 ft.)
Just my opinion, YMMV.
Oh, no experience with Oceanic regs but they make solid gear too.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just buy both regs and it will solve everything (hahahahah)

BigWhiteSquare:
Yeah, that Mares / Dacor trade-in program is really something. $299 for an 05 Abyss, while Leisurepro is selling them (without trade-in) for $299.95. Think of all the stuff you can buy with the extra 95 cents. Like... gum?

___

I guess Leisurepro is special. The only decision for me now is what costs more, sales tax or shipping. Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom