Mares M1 RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one. One of the buttons broke after 10 dives. The numbers are a bit small. It gives you a bit less bottom time than an Aladin Pro Nitrox, but more than a Vyper. The band is junk. The pin that holds the buckle on can slip out and bye bye M1. I got a refund for mine.

While I do think having user replaceable batteries is an essential feature, 'easy to find' batteries just isn't a factor for dive computers. It makes a lot of sense for say digital cameras, for which you need to change batteries pretty often. But on a dive computer?

All you have to do is have a couple or more spare batteries in your dive kit. It sure beats having all that bulk on the wrist all the time (from two HUGE batteries) because you want to be able to buy the batteries at a roadside kiosk when you do your annual battery change.

paulwlee:
While I do think having user replaceable batteries is an essential feature, 'easy to find' batteries just isn't a factor for dive computers. It makes a lot of sense for say digital cameras, for which you need to change batteries pretty often. But on a dive computer?

Oh yes it sure as heck does! I've got maybe 55 dives on my M1. I've changed the batteries 3 times already. (Regular AAA's.) The M1 is a battery chewer.

Boogie711:
Oh yes it sure as heck does! I've got maybe 55 dives on my M1. I've changed the batteries 3 times already. (Regular AAA's.) The M1 is a battery chewer.
Speaking of batteries...
While diving in Hawaii, my M1 stopped working, without warning. I opened up to change batteries and found a brown mess of wet, soggy, water logged batteries. My new M1 had come WITHOUT AN O RING!
The good new is that Mares boasts that the battery compartment is isolated from the rest of the works, so All I had to do is clean out the compartment, put in new batteries and use a normal tank O ring, and I was back in business.
Of course, when I got home the LDS I bought it from at once offered to replace it.

Gents,

I have been using the M1 for awhile now and recently changed to re-chargeable batteries when I switched to digital cameras (also battery hogs). I am getting very long life from the NiMH batteries and they are re-chargeable up to 200+ times. Sweet! Try Thomas Distributing if you are interested.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

Okay, I've the RGMB M1 for a coupleof month and have around fifty dives on it now. I origionally purchased it because I like the in water interface (it replaced a dacor darwin and I like to keep things consitent). I also have the Iris PC interface which I am less thrilled about. I like the deep stop capability. Incidentally, I have not had to replace the battaries (my dacor was the same about 100 dives per cange) that often.

I do think that this computer is very conservative. My no deco times have been very short, even on first dives. Shortly after I got the computer I dove a "regular" profile at a site I often dive. This profile takes me to about 110 fsw depending on the tide and keeps me there for 10-15 minutes. The computer sent me into deco after about 7 minutes below 100 fsw. My buddy was diving an Ocianic and, of course, he had all the time in the world. I don't really mind the added conservatism, but I was supprised. I did my stops and had no difficulty. Also, I've noticed that I get an "ascent violation" much more easily with this computer (like everytime I dive) when I ascend a few feet dumping air from my suit or when I ascend to swim over an obstruction. The computer doesn't "lock me out," but I do get the annoying little slow icon. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this experience?

Bill Ferrell

I just went through my log - 57 dives, all but one has the ascent warning violation marker. You're not alone. I think the problem is you can go up 3 feet in 3 seconds even in 100 feet of water and it thinks you're ascending too quick. And because it's wrist mounted, it tends to go up and down a lot more violently if you're reaching for something or whatever.

Boogie711:
I just went through my log - 57 dives, all but one has the ascent warning violation marker. You're not alone. I think the problem is you can go up 3 feet in 3 seconds even in 100 feet of water and it thinks you're ascending too quick. And because it's wrist mounted, it tends to go up and down a lot more violently if you're reaching for something or whatever.
Every once in a while, I push on the top of my hood to get the air out and I get a rapid accent warning.
Nice, huh?

Boogie711:

Wow, that's mind-boggling. If what you are saying is true, for me, that would be reason enough to not buy the M1. I think the Vyper does at least a couple hundred dives between battery changes. (manuals says ~400 dives if done in one year; shelf time also degrades batteries)
I've never had to change the battery as I sold the Vyper at its dive #150 or so. (I still keep a couple spares in my dive kit.)

Same with the US Divers (Pelagic, really) hockey puck computer I used to have before the Vyper.

Back
Top Bottom