Mares Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kane(adian)

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS sells Mares as their more expensive brand. I know that everyone loves their Apeks regs and their Zeagle Ranger BCDs, but what does everyone think of Mares equipment? I am looking at buying equipment in the (hopefully near) future, and I can find great prices through the LDS on this gear. Thanks for you input.

The best description of mares is the 'mercedes' of diving gear.

It might not be the most comfortable, or the best performing, but it is well built, reliable, and will last forever.

Jon T

PS thanks Gozu for that description!

The only thing bad I have found so far with MARES is the ESA mask, it leaks..

I have the V16 Epos and it works great. My son might get a MR12 Axis if I don't get a Abyss first. The one little thing I noticed and like was the ports on the first stage, confortable hose angles, and will upgrade to Nitrox.

The Vector Platium BCD is comfortable and the MRS, nice. make sure you get the one with trim pockets. I bought the Vector with MRS because when I was doing my check out dives a few people lost their velcro weight pouches.

Nothing fancy but but like Turnjd said will last forever.

My local shop also carries Mares, so I am happy to see that they get positive reviews. I am looking at the MR 12 Axis with the MR12 Epos. My local shop set me up for about $600.

I have the Abyss reg, Vector 1000 BCD and 3 Mares masks and have no complaints at any of it.

One thing to consider with the reg is servicing. This can be a problem in some parts of the world.

Whew! Glad to hear some praise regarding Mares equipment. On a recent trip to FL, I splurged on a Mares BCD / Reg package (Synchro Power, V16 Epos)... along with the original goal of picking up wetsuits. I'm extremely happy with everything so far.

Now it's just getting the LDS to service the equipment without hitting me too heavily price wise.

Well this is great! I find posts on Mares equipment rare to many other brands, but from talking with the guys at the store, I liked it, but like all things, the guy selling may have a different opinion than the public at large. I do actually own a pair of quattros, which I bought for my OW cert., and I really like them (although I have nothing to compare them with).

If it lasts forever, than that is what I am looking for. I want to make my purchases right the first time, and eliminate the stage of kicking myself.

Hoping the Scuba Fairy brings me an Abyss...

It's the Vectra Origin and it has a custom fitted cumberbund for my comfort.The Price was affordable and it fits and works well.Nothing flashy,but reliable.It's up to individual taste.
Cheers Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman.

Mares gear is a little difficult to get in retail, you may have to special order some stuff (BC's) from the US distributor.

We recently gave up our "old faithfuls": a USD Arctic & Sherwood Blizzard for a pair of Mares Abyss regs. They breathe like a dream in any orientation: upside down, right side up... no problem, mon. And just as easy breathing at 30' as at 110'.

The only drawback for me is the short exhaust tee that makes for some bubble interference.

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom