Mares Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canuk(ian),

I have two pieces of Mares gear: (1) my Quattros and they were great and (2) the ESA mask--I was really unhappy with it because it leaked like the proverbial sieve. But I took it back to the LDS and he told me Mares had fixed the problem and exchanged it for a new ESA.

Now, I have no info from Mares and so I do not know if that is actually true, BUT the new ESA has worked great for 40 dives and I an so confident in it, that I am not taking a spare on my next trip. I will never hesitate to buy other Mares gear!

And I am glad someone else thought the APEX exhaust ports were a little short. That is one of the reasons I have a Sherwood Oasis: twin exhaust ports that exhaust out to the side and "far" away...helps when aiming a camera...but I hold my breath while pushing the shutter button, so....

Joewr...counting the hours until we board the jet...

Kane,
I changed to Mares about two years ago when I updated my regs. I also wear a older Expedition X BC which has been very reliable. You'll find all Mares gear typically European, very functional and built to last. The mouthpiece on my Epos was to small, so I replaced it with a Seacure moldable mouthpiece and fixed that problem.
I shop Divers Direct in Orlando and if they don't have the best prices on Mares stuff, they'll be close. Divers Direct are authorized Mares dealers and they have a large in store selection of Mares gear. There're the only ones who service my BC and regs. The address for the online catalogue is DiversDirect.com :tree:Bob

I also use Mares Frontiere BC and V16 regswith Nikos octo. I love the gear. Works well. Only downfall is the WI pouches. They can fall out. Not fun swimming lopsided.
:D Butch

Having worked in Mail Order for so long. I can tell you, if a company MAKES a product. IT'S WARRANTIED... if not, you have and THEY have a lawsuit and a report to the BBB. YOU BOUGHT IT FROM A STORE. It's the stores fault then, not yours.

Yes, Buyer beware... but all this warranty stuff is CRAP.

TRUST ME... I've had to deal with $7,000 bikes that supposedly were not going to be warrantied... B.S.!!!!

Just throw out "Uhhmm o.k., I'll be contacting the BBB and my lawyer"... see how fast they are to help you... albeit, they will hate you forever, but I guarantee if you get high enough in the food chain at a company with those words, and they WILL take care of you... especially when you throw in and "ohh by the way I'm on SCUBABOARD EVERYDAY" THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU...

Good LUck :D

Back to Mares, I have quite a bit of Mares equipment and have no problems with any of it. V16 Orbiter reg, Nikos octo, Quattro fins - all works really well.

Would recommend them.

I have a Mares Northern Exposure BC that I bought over 7 years and 320 dives ago. It was my first and so far my only BC. The power inflator crapped out after about 5 years, but I'm not complaining. I also have the Mares ESA mask, doesn't leak any more than any other mask I've tried.

My wife and I both use Mares Epos regs with a V16 first stage with Axis regs for the alt. air source. We haven't had them long but we are both really happy with their performance. I've had mine down to 100' and tried breathing in all sorts of different positions. It breathes easy in all positions at depth. The only thing I might criticize it on is that after it's in your mouth a while, the mouthpiece tends to tire your jaw out. I need to get one of sea cure mouthpieces or something. Other than that I'm quite happy with it.

I have been looking into buying the Mares Esa mask, but I am a little concerned with the leakage problem. Does anyone have evidence that this problem has been fixed by Mares? If yes, how do i know that the Esa that i will by is one of the fixed ones?

BTW, does the six lense system really work? How does the Esa compare to Tusa's Splendive iv and Pana Geo?

mahalo,
mako

I would recomend the TUSA or the Ocean Master Z4, the six lenses are still prone to leakage and are tough to clear when they do...

Mako,
I tried the Esa, but didn't like it. It felt like it took to much effort to turn my head, plus it really didn't seal that well. I changed to the TUSA low volume Platina. Works great. Best mask I've ever had. :tree:Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom