mares/dacor trade in program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
I'm not sure if it was in time to help with the Dacor PR issues, but it is a good offer a lot of folks are taking advantage of.
You're right Larry, it's too little, too late. Many of the people I've spoken to (both on this board and at the LDS) have sworn off MARES and DACOR. It's too bad, they've driven a good brand into the ground. I still have a pair of DACOR Turbo fins, a MARES Tutor DC, and other misc pieces, but other than upkeep on those things I have, will boycott the companies til they crash & burn, or get bought up by someone else and they throw those responsible for this fiasco under the bus.
During discussions on this subject back when the program was coming out, I was critical of it (still am) and was asked " what are you going to do, your DACOR is only good for a paperweight".....so I removed the regulator from the hose, cleaned and shined up the metal body, and it's now a paperweight on my desk. The guys at work know I'm a diver, so when they want me to get something, they tell me they'll leave it under the regulator.
Happy Holidays,
C-Dawg

I was wondering how many divers still use a Voit regulator. I haven't had any problems getting my MR12 or Titan II serviced over the years. The company name has changed (Voit, AMF, Swimaster, Mares) but my dive shop has always been able to find parts. Now Dacor was going "down the tube" for several years before HEAD purchased them. I agree that they should have come up with a better program sooner than they did. Phil Mintz is trying hard to address the problem. I can't see why anyone would want to hold on to that "paperweight" when he could trade in on a great regulator like the Mares 05 Abyss. The Abyss has been hightly rated by several publications and their design is sound and shouldn't change for many years. If you still have doubts then ask Larry at ScubaToys about it. Im sure he will say it's a good regulator at a great price and they haven't had any problems with getting parts to service the Mares line .

Scubapro50, thanks for the show of confidence.

Vtdiver2: I appreciate your passion and will not try change your opinion with some comments in this forum. Just want to point out that no senior managers or executives who ran Mares/Dacor in Italy or US are still with the company. Also when Dacor was acquired, Mares US was run by a distributor, this was disolved and began to be run by HEAD USA in 2003. I have been with Mares since Jan. 2005 (HEAD since 1989). So if your anger is towards the people, they are long gone.

Phil

Why are they offering 2 dacor regs ( ealge sport, eagle pro )when people are saying there is no more parts? Is there still parts for these? I dive with the eagle sport. Should I trade it since from what it sounds like, I can't get parts for it.

The Eagle Sport and Pro DPD are still in production and parts are readily availible. Plus many of the parts are interchangeble with Mares regs.

Phil

thank you. Now I can save some money

Phil Mintz:
Scubapro50, thanks for the show of confidence.

Vtdiver2: I appreciate your passion and will not try change your opinion with some comments in this forum. Just want to point out that no senior managers or executives who ran Mares/Dacor in Italy or US are still with the company. Also when Dacor was acquired, Mares US was run by a distributor, this was disolved and began to be run by HEAD USA in 2003. I have been with Mares since Jan. 2005 (HEAD since 1989). So if your anger is towards the people, they are long gone.

Phil
Well, that is a step in the right direction. Thanks for the info.
C-Dawg

scubapro50:
I have been very out spoken about this problem and now I willing to give their company a 2nd chance. I'm hopeing that the new Mares/Dacor company will return to the high standards of customer service that were set by the "family" owned business before the buyout happened.

Trick me once, shame on you; trick me twice, shame on me. I ain't buying their stuff, ever.

Besides, $300 plus trade for a new reg, is that a good deal? You can buy Apeks all day long for $300 and not worry about a trade. Plus, twenty years from now you'll still be using your Apeks while Mares has had a dozen models come and go. i.e. Limited Edition.

I have a Dacor Viper Metal and a Viper octo that I bought in 2001 on LP. Are these eledgable for the trade in?

is it a straight swap i have dacor regs and would love to have some new mares 1s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom