mares/dacor trade in program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I missed these threads earlier.... today is the first I heard about the program.

I just called one of my dive buddies who has old Dacor paper-weights that he can't get parts for to tell him about it.

Mares is doing a good thing by offering this program. Lots of folks shy'd away from buying Dacar/Mares after the "parts issues".

However, you'd think that Mares would advertise it better. Maybe they did and I just didn't see it. (I missed these threads about it...). But there is very liitle about it in the Scubaboard Mares forum also. You'd figure it'd be a "sticky" there at the top.

I couldn't even find it on the Mares website, including their press releases
http://www.mares.com/news.php?region=USA

Go figure?

mike_s:
I guess I missed these threads earlier.... today is the first I heard about the program.

I just called one of my dive buddies who has old Dacor paper-weights that he can't get parts for to tell him about it.

Mares is doing a good thing by offering this program. Lots of folks shy'd away from buying Dacar/Mares after the "parts issues".

However, you'd think that Mares would advertise it better. Maybe they did and I just didn't see it. (I missed these threads about it...). But there is very liitle about it in the Scubaboard Mares forum also. You'd figure it'd be a "sticky" there at the top.

I couldn't even find it on the Mares website, including their press releases
http://www.mares.com/news.php?region=USA

Go figure?

Mike,

Well, I am glad you did discover it before the program ended, you should get it in before months end.

It has been discussed on these boards, we did multiple press releases and dealer letters. You are correct about the web site, our new site went up this year and I did not go back and add every press release from the prior year, maybe in this case I should have, but all in all we have upgraded thousands, so I think we did an okay job of getting the word out.

Regards,

Phil

I love my Abyss! I did the trade in thing through Scuba Toys about three weeks ago.
I've now done four dives with it and compared to my old Dacor Formula...well there is no comparison. Of course my Dacor hadn't been serviced for several years and it still worked sort of, but the thing always left my throat dry to the point of giving me a sore throat. The Abyss does not do that. The radiator action of the metal keeps the air nice and moist. Also, my old Dacor would breathe kind of hard while inverted, and the Abyss doesn't do that either. It breathes easy no matter what position I'm in. One time, my old Dacor freeflowed on me at 60 ft in a quarry. The water temp was about forty something, and I think it may have been icing up on me. Had to change the profile and go up above the thermocline. I just did 85ft in the same quarry and it felt like pretty much the same temperature, but the Abyss gave no hint of a freeflow. Just breathed like I was above water. And it's not even set up for cold water.
Awesome reg from Mares, and awesome service from Scuba Toys!

I am that dive buddy Mike_S was talking about with the old Dacor paperweights. I had sworn off buying any DACOR or MARES product ever again. This program has made me re-think my position and I will probably be calling Larry before the end of the month.

Phil,
I have not seen any information at any dive shop, dive publication, discussion thread etc. concerning this program. And trust me if I had seen it I would have known it. I used a Dacor Pacer from the very early 80's to the mid-90's without any problems and loved it. I stopped diving for a while and got back into it about 2 years ago. I think Mares is doing a very good and the right thing with this trade in program. It definitely made me reconsider being a Mares customer.

AL

Al,

I am sorry you did not see the information on the program, but glad you did find out before it ends. A few have stated they did not see it and I certainly believe them. On the other hand I think we have made a big effort, (Larry even had it on his home page for a few months) so I understand it is a big country and sometimes the message just simply does not reach all, but we do try.

Enjoy the new regs (when you trade up).

Regards,

Phil

The only place I ever heard about it was here.

We have been advertising it for a long time at my dive shop. I have traded in quite a few on the program for customers and even a few from Scubaboard. We offer the trade-in and plus you get an additional 10% discount if you are a Scubaboard member, dive club member, etc. All the dive shops received notice of the program, many times over. We have a big advertisement on the front page of our website.

The clock is counting down, if you have not taken advantage of this
program you better hurry on Debraw's offer! I highly recommend the Abyss!

I'm glad I saw it so I could send it to DiverAL. He was planning on buying a new regulator since Dacor/Mares wouldn't make parts for his anymore. I think this offer has restored his and other folks faith in Mares.

Speaking of this trade in deal... Is Leisure Pro an authorized Mares dealer? They aren't listed as a Mares dealer on the Mares webpage, so it makes it seem like they might be a "grey market" dealer for Mares..... But yet they advertise the Mares Trade in Program on their webpage for the MR22. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MRSMR22.html

Just curious if Leisure Pro was an authorized dealer after seeing this?

Mike, I heard from a good source, who heard from a source, who got it from a source.........that Leisure Pro is a Dealer, just not an "authorized dealer". Now, you go figure what that means.

The Mares OFFICIAL stance is that Leisure Pro is NOT a dealer........but the real question is "Does Mares sell product directly to them?"

Phil Ellis

Back
Top Bottom