MARES ABYSS 22 vs AQUALUNG KRONOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advokat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm just about to get a new regulator and still cant decide what to get. I'm thinking Mares Abyss 22 or Aqualung Kronos.What do you think of theses two and what your choice will be?

Is it true that with Kronos you can`t see your own bubbles?

I've been happy with my Abyss. Had it for about 4 years now without a problem.

Very different regulators with very different features and benefits; Abyss (metal 2nd stage, indestructible, moisture capturing, simple design) Kronos (adjustments, small, lightweight, better bubble exhaust). My suggestion is worry less about others worthless opionions on which one is "better" and first try and fiqure out what features would be most beneficial and important to you, then ask which one meets those needs best. I have an Abyss I use for tech diving and love it; the simplisity, ruggedness (I set my tanks on my second stages all the time, or drop them) and the ease of breathing are all things I like about the Abyss, but you might not like the bubble exhaust, the size, or the weight. You know what they say about opinions, they're like axxxxles, everyone has one, this couldn't be more true than when you ask someone what is the best gear. I've heard so many divers buy into the advertising that their gear was the best for no other reason than that is what the salesperson convinced them of to get $700 out of them for a first and second stage.
Again figure out what you want of the regulator, what you want to spend, what you want to do with it, etc. If your new I know this can be hard to do, but try and really look ahead and think what type of diving you want to do in 5 years (reef, wreck, tech) etc, if your diving changes are you willing to change your gear or do you want to buy once and be able to use it forever, new technology design or old and tested. Once you know some of these answers then you can intelligently decide on the regulator that would be best for you and intelligently evaluate others input on your question. Just me .02 cents

I love my Abyss, it is heavy, I had to exchange the mouthpiece, now it fits better, but it is still heavy but it is metal.....
I have as octopus mares rebel and it is crap..

I just got to demo the Kronos and LOVE IT!!! So much I went ahead and bought it Friday. The bubbles exhaust on the right side, and yes if you turn your head to the right you may get a facefull of bubbles, but only then! It breathes easy, and right now comes with a free octo in the same side bubble style.

Kronos is a simple, intelligent design. I service regs for an LDS and Mares metal 2nd stages are no good, they use cheap metals in important parts that are conducive to corrosion. The Kronos breathes very well and has a balanced 2nd stage that is 2 in 1 adjustable, meaning you can adjust the venturi and breathing effort from one knob. Mares has never been known for high quality regulators.

Go with an Apeks setup, it will never let you down.
Also XTX and (old)TX series have large exhausts which will give a bubble free, clear view and I've heard about Apeks free octo program, maybe you can get it also in Australia.
XTX50 with DS4 is a high performance, dependable, ~budget set up

I cannot comment on the Apex, or Kronos.
I have 3 MR22 Abyss regs and love them. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
I love the metal 2nd stages, I dive in cold waters most of the year.
The large 1st stage and metal 2nd are less prone to free flow in icey waters.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom