March 24TH & 25TH 2007 Panhandle Dive N Dine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Yep. This is the same Operation that I'm talking about. The one where things were forcefully removed/stolen from the USS Oriskany.

You're right that he can't keep someone from bringing something up that he didn't know about.... but he actually told the diver of another object to take and how to get it detached from the wreck on his 2nd dive.

As for the 'scuba police', yes that's not directly his job, but removing items from Florida reefs/wrecks is against the law, so condoning it on a vessel that he is the captain of is within his legal responsibility. It still happens though.

After pressure from this board, being reported to the FWC, etc, the captain here did assist with returning the items to the Oriskany. But many people here still didn't like how he initially handled it. He didn't win many friends here. Maybe this taught him a valuable lesson though.

Like I said above, there are other more reputable charters that do this trip that I would prefer to use that don't have this 'shadow' hanging over them. But also as I said, maybe he learned a lesson, and now he has gotten better when you used him recently.

Live and learn. He made a mistake, so punish him for it? No.

Dive w/ him before making a judgment against him. I'm quite sure, you'll enjoy his company! I've only dove with him once, and I don't know him obviously. But I don't feel that it's right for people to bash a business for 1 mistake that was made, when they've been in business for over 10 years, or even 1 month for that matter!

He may have done 200 good deeds, but the 1 bad one he gets flamed for and everyone discards the outfit like the plague! Why pass judgment so easily, when you've never experienced it first hand. IMO, text has WAY too much room for interpretation to make a judgment call on someone's personality.

One example of this is a customer I have, she always comes off angry and snooty in her emails, but when you ask her if she is angry, she laughs and says no that's just how her emails to EVERYONE come off. In person, she's totally different.

I'm sure to some people everything I say is considered smartass and somewhat retarded, and it is, because that's how I want it to come off =) In person, I'm a fun loving guy, and like to screw with peoples heads (you can ask the ABWA crew from Feb 10th). I'm far from an ***, most of the time =)

Besides, the same items that the diver removed, will be removed by someone else somewhere down the line... We all know that!

frankc420:
Besides, the same items that the diver removed, will be removed by someone else somewhere down the line... We all know that!

Yes... that's unfortunate, but true. Many other items will be taken off the ship.

As much as we hate to see it happen, it's a very common place thing to occur. Especially in other areas of the country

:focus:For those interested in diving the Oriskany on March 24th:

Call the Dive Pros at 850 456 8845 and get on the manifest.

The cost is $150 for the charter. The Oriskany Divemaster(Eric) has agreed to waive his regular DM fee of $50 per diver and provide the group with a free guided tour. On a full boat, that's $300 out of his pocket, so let's show him some love...

Most likely we'll report to the dock at 0630, and return by 12:30. Those that want to continue to Destin should be able to start a Jettie dive by 3:30/4pm.

Call Dive Pros but also post on this thread so that we can make sure we have enough people interested to fill the boat min4/max6.

PS Here's you some love Eric :10:

The Local Shore Diving Guru(Mat) has graciously agreed to be our guide for Shore Diving At the Destin Jetties on March 24th:

so lets show him some love...

SuPrBuGmAn:
3-24 High Tide at Destin Jetties(~ hour south of Vortex) hits at 2:30PM, we can meet at 1:30PM, gear up and hit the water for a dive. Depending on the currents, possibly make a second.

PS Here's you some love Mat :10:

My son Andy and I would like to go on the Oriskany trip with Eric and then drive to the Destin Jetties and try to meet the shore divers for a final dive that afternoon, if conditions allow.

That would put everyone in the Destin area for dining/partying that night, so does anyone have suggestions on where to meet that night?

BTW, we still plan to dive Morrisons on Sunday the 25th, and if all goes well, we may have a "local" with a smoking good grill to cook us up some fine southern cuisine for that day!!!!

You won't make 2:30 high tide in Destin after doing an offshore boat trip in Pensacola.

As for eating, Dewey's and Callahan's are both good.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You won't make 2:30 high tide in Destin after doing an offshore boat trip in Pensacola.

As for eating, Dewey's and Callahan's are both good.

I was hoping to catch you guys on your 2nd dive at the Jetties if conditions allow which would be around what time?
And if we don't make it in time to dive, we can still hang out with the shore support.:)

All depends on how quickly the currents swap around in determining whether a second dive is possible. Won't know until the end of the first dive.

Also, Mat and Eric request that ladies only "show'em some love" :10: in appreciation for their hard work as guides on March 24th "AT NO CHARGE" (I might add)...so you guys can buy their beer after the diving. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom