March 21st & 22nd Wreck dive weekend :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are we getting / can we get a group rate at some hotel or such down there for the weekend? I don't care much about amenities, just that it's inexpensive and gives me a nice quiet place to sleep reasonably close to Conch Republic.

We will be carpooling down Sunday morning and back home in the afternoon so I am not sure on group rates. Conch Republic may have something going for you give them a call.

Let’s all do lunch after our dive. :)

Any recommendations?

After a dive I will eat anything that does not eat me first, I am easy to please. :D I do not know the name but there is a pub a bit north of Conch that is good. I think it is in the Winn Dixie center.

After a dive I will eat anything that does not eat me first, I am easy to please. :D I do not know the name but there is a pub a bit north of Conch that is good. I think it is in the Winn Dixie center.

Awh!!! That would be called Dillions. There's also a Subway and Little Caesars Pizza right next door.
Then there's McDonalds, Country Gulls, and Anthonys right around the corner. If that don't work you can alway stip by Winn-Dixie...All in the same shopping center.

Good Diving,

This time of year - I would recommend outside or at least water view dining, I would head down to the Lorelei or maybe the Island Grill.

Going the other way.

The best bang for the buck are the $3.50 wings and $1 drafts are at the Buzzard Roost up in Key Largo; IMHO it is the way to go. Great food and cheap eats 4 -6 PM. Way cheaper than even Micky D's - did I mention the 35 cent poppers?

This is the current schedule...

4 on Saturday,
Saturday March 21 8AM Dive...Note early departure. Be at shop at 7:30AM
1. Spiegel Grove
2. Reef
Saturday March 21 1PM Dive
1. Horseshoe
2. Little Conch

OK... I am in for four dives on Saturday.

To all other participants,

If you don't mind, I have some question as a newcommer.:wink:

Is there any links to check out Saturday dive sites' info?

What thickness of wetsuit do I need? 3mm is more than enough (We are only wearing DS here)?

It seems that some members might use the double or CCR. Is the double tank available at the Conch Republic?

What kind of dive are you planning, long deep (with deco bottle) or regular rec. diving?

I need to pack/mail the gear by this weekend, so I should sort out what to bring.
How long does it take to be there from Miami airport area on Saturday morning (Google map said 1:30 min. though)?

Is there any traffic issue (i.e. heavy traffic, cops, speeding camera, etc...) I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

I will make a go/no based on the conditions. If the sun is shinning and the seas look good I will definitely do some diving.

Thanks kids, :wink: did you call and book your spot? Will you be joining us?

Hoosier - as of now all the wreck dives are planned as standard no deco dives to be followed by a reef dive. Conch Republic does schedule double header wreck dives, but you have to arrange them in advance (and have the proper qualifications etc). This gives the qualified divers the option to do one long dive and others two shorter dives on the same wreck. Call Brenda, but I am not positive that they have doubles for rent - they do have larger single steel (100's) available. If I am going to dive I might even be coxed into letting somebody dive one of steel 95's (I plan on diving HP 100's).

As far as suit thickness, it is each to its own, but I would say 5mm would be a starting point for most, with many of the locals still diving 7 mm.

An hour and half would be a minimum to get you to KL but a bit iffy down to Tavernier. Do not speed once you hit the new bridge over Jewfish Creek and there is still construction on the 18 mile stretch. If you are renting a car at the Miami airport you will need to factor 1 hour from the time your flight lands as the car rental locations are off-site (with lots of construction in that area) and you will need to take a shuttle bus.

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom