Marathon Restaurant suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are staying in the Bahia Honda cabins in the near future and I wracking my brain for a good place for dinner on Marathon.

There are a couple of places I like to go with dive buddies on the bay side of US1 right before the 7 mile bridge (can't recall names), but I'm looking for something just a tad bit nicer like Fish House in Key Largo or, for those familiar with Palm Beach County, similar to Leftovers or Hog Snapper.

Type of food doesn't really matter, seafood, steak, tex-mex, island, etc. etc. are all good.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Diving related.... I'm looking forward to diving the Vandenberg again

"Nicer" isn't really all that existent on Marathon. There's a fairly nice-ish place on Key Colony just north of Marathon. Florida Keys Fisheries is a delicious restaurant, and if you miss it you've wasted your trip, but it's not "nice." You eat on a pier out of baskets with wax paper.

For "nicer" places, very little is better than Louie's Backyard. It's worth the drive to Key West from Marathon for that food. We made a day of it.

"Nicer" isn't really all that existent on Marathon. There's a fairly nice-ish place on Key Colony just north of Marathon. Florida Keys Fisheries is a delicious restaurant, and if you miss it you've wasted your trip, but it's not "nice." You eat on a pier out of baskets with wax paper.

For "nicer" places, very little is better than Louie's Backyard. It's worth the drive to Key West from Marathon for that food. We made a day of it.

It's been a few years since I was there and will depend on your definition of "nice" :D But we really enjoyed eating at the restaurant just before the bridge (Florida Keys Fisheries? ^^^) We were lucky. The weather was perfect and there was a fabulous sunset. My kind of casual romance. The view from our picnic table...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 233
Marathon has plenty of restaurants but few good ones. Seems most like to get there food frozen from GFS or other suppliers and season the hell out of it and pass it off as their own specialties. If you like Italian food Frank's Grill is good or the other place mentioned above. Burdines has an open Tiki hut type outdoor setting with great burgers and fish sandwiches or the place mentioned above is very good.

uncfnp.....I believe that's FKFisheries you're talking about having gone to. Like I said, the food is awesome and it's really a cool place to go, and we loved staying til sunset and hanging around and feeding those gigantic tarpon. We even had an egret that was friends with us by the time we left (we were given fish to feed to it by the kitchen staff). I LOVED that place. However, it doesn't seem to be a "nice" restaurant by any standards. I mean, "nice" starts with the first requirement of sit-down and a waiter.....at least in my mind. Awesome, delicious, cool.....but I wouldn't say "nice restaurant."

Louie's Backyard is a NICE restaurant. Sit down, wine pairings, incredible food, great positioning on Key West to watch the sunset.....but the price tag reflects how nice it is :D

uncfnp.....I believe that's FKFisheries you're talking about having gone to. Like I said, the food is awesome and it's really a cool place to go, and we loved staying til sunset and hanging around and feeding those gigantic tarpon. We even had an egret that was friends with us by the time we left (we were given fish to feed to it by the kitchen staff). I LOVED that place. However, it doesn't seem to be a "nice" restaurant by any standards. I mean, "nice" starts with the first requirement of sit-down and a waiter.....at least in my mind. Awesome, delicious, cool.....but I wouldn't say "nice restaurant."

Louie's Backyard is a NICE restaurant. Sit down, wine pairings, incredible food, great positioning on Key West to watch the sunset.....but the price tag reflects how nice it is :D

I did qualify my recommendation depending on your view of "nice" and a Marathon location.

Last edited:
had lunch and dinner @ lazy days south last month. on the water(Oceanside), service and food was very good. the menu identical to their other restaurant in islamorada,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lazy Days South - Marathon Florida Keys Restaurant - Oceanfront Dining - Fresh Seafood - Join us for relaxing oceanfront dining and exquisite Florida Keys cuisine

reefman
key largo

Reefman: thanks for the lead. I checked out the website & it looked exactly like what I wanted: we tried it and loved it! Also stopped by the Fish House on the way down for a terrific lunch.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom