Marathon FL vacation in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can always go for a little bit more South and dive with Islamorada Dives or Key Dives

If you're in Marathon, we dove with Captain Hook's there and had a good time -- good operation. I'm not sure if their boat goes out to anything deep from that location, though, if you're interested in more than just reef dives (I would call and ask). More recently, we went out with Horizon in Key Largo for some reef dives and the Spiegel Grove wreck. They were very good -- would definitely dive with them again and the Spiegel Grove was great (though a more advanced dive).

With regard to temperature, you're probably looking at around 75F in the water. You can rent wetsuits, etc., but you will probably just get a 3mm with open foot fins. That can get a little cold for some people. Even if you rent the wetsuit, you might want your own hood and fins\booties, and possibly a vest of some sort. (Gloves are sometimes not permitted for reef protection -- depends on the location and operator. I'd bring them anyway.)

Very few people in drysuits (other than the technical divers sometimes).

I dove Marathon in January 2023 74 degree water dove with swimsuit two others did also the 6 or 7 others dove with a 3mm suit

That’s awesome. Can’t wait to go back to FL to do some diving.
Which dive shop did you dive with?

The Dive shop was right at Duck Key, everything is being remodeled so they were working out of a trailer the signage was not good, they had good crew & boat. There are several Dive shops in Marathon.

my wife and i winter in the key largo/tavernier area. we arrive in late december through the beginning of march. we dive exclusively with Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. current water temps are in the mid 70’s and vis is 50 ft average. new years eve we did a midnight night dive on the wreck of the Benwood. there is also the Speigel Grove, Bib, Duane, and Eagle. . they dive shallow and deep reefs too. all their staff are instructors. they teach tech and rebreather also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom