Marathon FL vacation in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michalski23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be spending the first week of January in Marathon.

I’m thinking of doing some diving however from my research, sounds like January might not be the best time for diving in the Keys.

I’m still just a beginner so I’m considering doing AOW.

A few questions:

-To dive or not to dive ( I come to Florida a few times during the year so coming back at a later time (when conditions are better) to dive is an option.

-Should I bring my drysuit with me?

-AOW or just a fun dive? I’m not looking anything crazy as long as I learn something new and get better as a diver.

- any Dive Shops recommendations? There are 2 dive shops in Key Largo that I’m considering (I wouldn’t mind finding something closer to Marathon).

Thank you!

I dove Cudjoe Key twice in December 2012. Like today it was abnormally cold for December. The water temperature was 72 and 68 respectively. I was in a 7 mil farmer john with 36 pounds of lead and an 80 CF aluminum tank.

The keys are much better to dive from April through October.

During winter florida may be cool and windy but also may be very nice with air in 80s and water in 70s. Current cold spell will pass in a few days. I never dove Marathon, but Tavernier has nice sites and shops and a little closer.

I saw few people in Florida in dry suits but not many, may be 3 or 4 out of a 100+ trips. When water and air are around 70 with some breeze it gets chilly especially between dives in 5mm

Initially I was thinking of taking most of my gear with me (I exclusively dive dry) but now I’m thinking of just taking the bare necessities (computer, mask) and rent the rest of the gear.

Thank you all for your feedback.

To the keys? Lol
Personally I was even surprised that people were diving dry over there. Based on my research and conversion with one of the dive shops…there are divers who dive dry in the winter in the Keys.

Since all of the gear is included in the AOW class, most likely I will use the rental gear including the wetsuit.🥶

In certain circles, there are a lot of divers in south Florida that dive dry in Jan/Feb. Not so much for reef dives in the keys though.

It is possible to get cold there, especially for locals that aren’t used to having a real winter. I had a friend that was a 30 year resident would literally start to shiver when it got down to 70.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom