Mapping Blue Hole New Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, there's 4D. However I do not understand how a human being could ever map something in 4D. As I understand it we could not visualize it once completed since we're not beings that inhabit 4D space.

cummings66:
Yeah, there's 4D. However I do not understand how a human being could ever map something in 4D. As I understand it we could not visualize it once completed since we're not beings that inhabit 4D space.

You just have to map out how it has changed over time. - Simple :)

Who said they had to be four spatial dimensions? Take three spatial dimensions and, say, temperature, and you'll be all set. Of course, with a thermocline in there, you may want to repeat over time, giving you a five-dimensional model. :)

I typo'ed. There is another application that allows me to layer the topo maps, so I could probably add the contour of the walls at some point.

dhogan4342:
any suggestions?
I ask my DM candidates to provide something that will be useful for a diver who has never been to that site before. The results might include:
The map itself with entries, exits, depths, hazards, points of interest, and a key to understanding any symbols you might use. (Don’t forget to show which way is North.)
Facilities available and any local precautions.
And optionally: expected water conditions and critters, driving directions, an area map, and fees required.

You didn’t mention what agency you’re training with, but if it’s PADI, you shouldn’t need to include emergency information because you do that in your individual EAP. Remember, mapping is a buddy activity, so if you can work with another candidate, you won’t have to do all the work.

And save your rough notes. Your instructor might want to see them.

Scuba and Dream:
-..........surface.......-
-........platformx2.....-
-............................-
----85ft-gravestones-

No offense, but you would be better off mapping the lake (I forget the name now) that is 500 yards from the BH (that has a plane in it)...or you might as well map an olympic swimming pool.

Platformx3 You missed one :rofl3:

cummings66:

Speak for yourself! My wife would likely tell you I'm in a 5D space! :rofl3:

Scuba and Dream:
-..........surface.......-
-........platformx2.....-
----85ft-gravestones-

No offense, but you would be better off mapping the lake (I forget the name now) that is 500 yards from the BH (that has a plane in it)...or you might as well map an olympic swimming pool.

We can not all live in area's that have great diving conditions, or year around diving. Perch Lake has poor vis, and I doubt it has many UW features like the hole has. It also has basically nothing in the way of topside features, unless you want to map the field. It's also going to be 40F- in the winter!

Keep in mind that ONE reason us landlocked crazy folks from Denver drive 400 miles to the Hole is because it is the ONLY place within driving distance that we can dive in *relatively* warm, and clear water to depths of 80ffs. If one is doing a DM program in the winter, there are only two options from Denver... Fly, or Blue Hole.

There is nothing wrong with Perch. The vis is a great reason to learn navigation and a map would be great. I usually have to start at the plane go to the rockets and then jet across to the car. Would be nice to have a map and take a more senic route.....

As for blue hole that is a rather simple project just remember the grate gravestones and platforms. Is there anything else that dosent move in there? Everytime I dive it things are in different places.

WarrenZ:
There is nothing wrong with Perch. The vis is a great reason to learn navigation and a map would be great. I usually have to start at the plane go to the rockets and then jet across to the car. Would be nice to have a map and take a more senic route.....

As for blue hole that is a rather simple project just remember the grate gravestones and platforms. Is there anything else that dosent move in there? Everytime I dive it things are in different places.

You're just diving Perch at the wrong time of year! :D

I dove it for the first time, last year at mid November. Water was a "refreshingly brisk" 55 degrees. But the vis was awesome! I estimated it at (wait, let me check my log....)
almost 50 ft. I swam all over the lake (cough!pond!cough) and explored all kinds of nooks and crannies. I was a bid dissapointed in the lack of fish life however.

BTW- Are those tubes supposed to be "rockets" I was wondering why they were down there.

Anyway.... flashforward to mid July this year. Surface temp of Perch was WARM! I swm around in just my swimtrunks and fins. Vis sucked big-time. Top 15 or so feet had about 10 foot vis. At the thermal (30ft) vis dropped into the 0-2 foot range. I tried swimming out to the car, but after running into the bottom because I couldn't see it, I scrubbed that idea.

So, If I find myself back in the SR area in the cold months, I won't hesitate to dive Perch! But to keep this on topic, Perch could be mapped easily during the winter months by DM students.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom