Mapping Blue Hole New Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarrenZ:
There is nothing wrong with Perch. The vis is a great reason to learn navigation and a map would be great. I usually have to start at the plane go to the rockets and then jet across to the car. Would be nice to have a map and take a more senic route.....

As for blue hole that is a rather simple project just remember the grate gravestones and platforms. Is there anything else that dosent move in there? Everytime I dive it things are in different places.

So map it in the winter! The should be better vis, and if it's 40F, so be it! :D

I personally would rather map the hole. :D I have a feeling Perch is mostly silt and gradual change. The hole is actually much more dynamic, but I'm not an expert on diving Perch lake either.

I'll have to make a point of diving it in the winter. But after doing some dives in sub 50F water, there needs to be a HECK of a reason to dive those conditions, and I've found nothing in CO, or NM to justify getting cold.

FYI, fish become very inactive if the water temps are too cold, almost dormant. If you go deep sea fishing in say OR, often the captain will move you off a spot with a ton of fish that are not hitting because the water temp is cold. Once they hit a bit higher water temp often one will see more activity. This might explain why one's sees less fish in Perch in colder months.

RonFrank:
I have a feeling Perch is mostly silt and gradual change. The hole is actually much more dynamic, but I'm not an expert on diving Perch lake either.

Thats a strange thing I noticed about Perch. The bottom is covered in a thick layer of little, white granular "things". They are very low density and move easily with a wave of your hand or foot, but do settle back down to the bottom. Never seen anything like it anywhere else. I wonder if it's some form of calcium precipitation from the spring water?

And whats with the little cotton looking things growing on the airplane?

FD

Back
Top Bottom