Mapping Blue Hole New Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhogan4342

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a DMC in Denver looking for advice on mapping the Blue Hole in New Mexico, any suggestions?

My first suggestion is to ask a Mod to move this to Rocky Mountain forum for better coverage. :wink:

Definitely check out my post in the Rocky Mountain Oysters Group. I've posted how I did it in there along with my topo. map.

-..........surface.......-
-........platformx2.....-
-............................-
----85ft-gravestones-

No offense, but you would be better off mapping the lake (I forget the name now) that is 500 yards from the BH (that has a plane in it)...or you might as well map an olympic swimming pool.

Scuba and Dream:
-..........surface.......-
-........platformx2.....-
----85ft-gravestones-

No offense, but you would be better off mapping the lake (I forget the name now) that is 500 yards from the BH (that has a plane in it)...or you might as well map an olympic swimming pool.

That depends on your goal and how much detail and time you want to put into it.

bluehole_2d-1.gif

bluehole-3d-2.PNG

That depends on your goal and how much detail and time you want to put into it.

:lol:​

I mapped BH (in color) for my DM requirements.

I did a bird's eye view of the area, including the buildings, trees, and rock formations.
You could see the grate, buoys, platforms, stairs, giant stride platform, etc. I walked around, took notes and photos, and took some measurements and compass bearings.

Then I did a side view showing depth, floor relief, platforms, curious and skull, and the general shape. On the dives, I took many notes on my slate, and recorded measurements. I also referred to a number of pics and video that are available in the RMO past threads on Scubaboard!

Measurements were taken with a 100 ft tape measure from North to South and then from East to West at 80', 60', 40', 20', and at the surface.
I also recorded max depth and depth and location of overhangs, etc.
It was a fun project.

It would be great to do all over again and use the computer topo info that amascuba put together!

Divedoggie:
I mapped BH (in color) for my DM requirements.

I did a bird's eye view of the area, including the buildings, trees, and rock formations.
You could see the grate, buoys, platforms, stairs, giant stride platform, etc. I walked around, took notes and photos, and took some measurements and compass bearings.

Then I did a side view showing depth, floor relief, platforms, curious and skull, and the general shape. On the dives, I took many notes on my slate, and recorded measurements. I also referred to a number of pics and video that are available in the RMO past threads on Scubaboard!

Measurements were taken with a 100 ft tape measure from North to South and then from East to West at 80', 60', 40', 20', and at the surface.
I also recorded max depth and depth and location of overhangs, etc.
It was a fun project.

It would be great to do all over again and use the computer topo info that amascuba put together!

I wouldn't mind making more of a 4D model of the Blue Hole with some more detailed measurements. Maybe someday. :) that would be a project best done during the week days with little people there.

Scuba and Dream:
Perch Lake. And it's a mile or two away...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom