Manta Ray Dive in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donald D

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This dive was so awesome I had to do it twice. I just got my c-card in December and got the opportunity to do 4 dives on Oahu and 3 dives on the Big Island. During the first manta dive, I had forgotten to charge my batteries on my video camera and it died as soon as i hit the water. Enjoy the video from the second dive...

[video=youtube;Y37EdtC0l4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37EdtC0l4o[/video]

Wow, looks like a blast. I cant wait to get back to Maui in March and go diving every day. Living in CA but moving to MAUI

What an amazing video...thanks!

We moved to Oahu a couple years ago. We took a trip over to Kona and did this night manta dive with Big Island Divers. I was a bit skeptical, I usually shy away from these "too touristy" things. I will tell you, I've been diving for quite a while - this was one of the best dives I've ever done. We had 19 mantas show up for our dive, you could have told me there were hundreds.... there is a lady who shows up every night with her video camera, will sell it to you of course, but she knows the mantas by their markings. We did the 2 tank dive, we dove right before sunset (twilight, I think they called it) and we saw 2 mantas just hanging around the reef. As it got darker we heard splashing around our boat and the mantas came right in, before any lights or anything were put out. This was a great experience and we plan on hopping over to Kona to do it again. I *highly* recommend this dive, and Big Island Divers were awesome. They have warm showers for after dive rinses, and they provided us with hot chocolate after the dive... I know, you think, geez, you're in Hawaii. Still, for the time of year it is now the water is cooler and the hot chocolate was a nice touch!

Scuba Drum, thanks so much, I can't wait!!!

I was there a couple of years ago and watched those massive beauties for 3 nights in a row, from the hotel. What I really liked was even when the tourist weren't there in the water, Big Bertha was and the lights were on every night.

Which the next time I'm there might warrant a shore dive when there are less people around.

It is an amazing experience! Make sure to do the one down near the airport tho, we were there in October and they weren't getting many up at the resort end of the island. We also went with BID and they were a good bunch.

Very Nice...the most we've had show up when we did that dive was 13. Did it with Jack's and had an awesome time. Still one of my most memorable dives! :cool2:

Excellent video and great idea to match it to a live musical performance. It really is a live stage act!

You brought back great memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom