Kona, HI; where to dive (and surface stuff)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two step is great on Big Island.
It's not enough to say this, a diver needs a plan. This is a big bay offering multiple options where to go there, and if newcomers just jump into the water chances are high they'll waste their air wandering around aimlessly and come back disappointed. Or, God forbid, they decide to go there on a weekend afternoon only to find out the place is packed like a can of sardines. Yes, 2-Step is great but only if you know how to dive it and when to dive it.

It's not enough to say this, a diver needs a plan. This is a big bay offering multiple options where to go there, and if newcomers just jump into the water chances are high they'll waste their air wandering around aimlessly and come back disappointed. Or, God forbid, they decide to go there on a weekend afternoon only to find out the place is packed like a can of sardines. Yes, 2-Step is great but only if you know how to dive it and when to dive it.
Get there by 8am and snorkel the reef to get the layout. Go get your rig on by 9 and head straight west out over the drop off. Follow the reef south and down to ~105fsw and enjoy the corals above and sand below you. Turn back north and do your stop at the aloha... that's what I did and worked out pretty good, at least I think those are the general directions. Either way out, left, turn around, right.

Get there by 8am and snorkel the reef to get the layout. Go get your rig on by 9 and head straight west out over the drop off. Follow the reef south and down to ~105fsw and enjoy the corals above and sand below you. Turn back north and do your stop at the aloha... that's what I did and worked out pretty good, at least I think those are the general directions. Either way out, left, turn around, right.
Wait...most people come with 2 tanks, so for your 2nd dive you'll dive the same plan? :) This is just one of the options and I almost never use this route.

Wait...most people come with 2 tanks, so for your 2nd dive you'll dive the same plan? :) This is just one of the options and I almost never use this route.
2nd dive I went right instead of left looking fit a tiger that had been seen the day before. Dolphins can be seen further out away from the reef I've been told. When we go back I'll likely go back to 2 step. Very easy and relaxed dive site once you get off the step lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom