Kona, HI; where to dive (and surface stuff)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
EDIT: Just realized I got the title wrong. We are looking at islands besides Kona. Looking at Maui and Kauai too.

The wife wants to go back to Hawai'i, there's plenty of other places I'd rather go but looks like we are going to compromise and to to Hawai'i. Kind of have it down to one of three islands; Kona, Maui, or Kauai. Last time we went to Kona I did the manta ray dive, what are some other dives to check out?

We had a car so hit most of Kona; tropical forest and water fall, volcano, green beach, black beach, and a few other stuff. Any suggestions for surface stuff to do when not diving. Wife doesn't dive so we end up wasting a lot of time on surface stuff... looking at later in spring or summer so too late to see the whales.

Last time we went to Kona I did the manta ray dive, what are some other dives to check out?
If your wife snorkels, do the manta ray snorkel so she can get in on the excitement. Staying with the snorkeling hit, as mentioned above, 2 Step - we did a catamaran tour and snorkeled it that way (at least I'm pretty sure it was.) Head up to Waikola (Kohala Coast) and dive out of Pauko - smaller life can be seen - Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures is a good dive op.

Any suggestions for surface stuff to do when not diving.
Still up north visit the Pololu Valley Lookout - take in the view or hike down down to the water - somewhat strenuous. Also along the Kohala Coast is the Lapakahi State Historic Park - nice, long walk through ruins of the natives - we took a picnic lunch as there are a couple of picnic tables there.

On the Hamakua Coast, you'll find the Akaka Falls State Park that is a nice walk to a couple of waterfalls. The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is also on this coast and has a scenic drive.

If you can get to it, Mauna Kea Observatory is something I've wanted to do but haven't.....yet.

Depending on when you were last there and if it's open, Volcanoes National Park might be worth another stop. Our visits were 6 years apart and there had been a major eruption - needless to say there were some changes.

In Kauai, most dive sites are around Koloa and Poipu. Can shore dive in Koloa (Koloa Landing East and West.) The Plantation train tour was a highlight for me. Was able to sample all types of different fruits which tasted better than anything I ever had. They even allowed us to take fruit near the end of the tour. There is a pretty good luau in Wailua. Helicopter ride was pretty spooky (the Big Island helicopter was nice and smooth) but the only way to really see the diversity of the island. Did go to the Kilauea Lighthouse but there's not really anything to do there. Only stayed on this island for a week, but there didn't seem to be as much to do since you can't drive to all parts of the island.

I did the nighttime Manta Ray Dive at the site just North of the Airport on Dec 16, 2022 and saw afterwards that a reported 41 mantas showed up for feeding that evening - a record number! The Kanaloa Octopus Farm Tour at the Science and Technology Park was pretty cool and I hear that there's a Seahorse Farm there you can tour also. For some dive touring of different dive sites I would suggest checking out Jack's Diving Locker's Two Tank Advanced Dives - a little more expensive, but with only six experienced divers max and you get taken to spots where the dive operations don't normally go. Ask to go to Touch of Gray dive site if the ocean conditions allow. The lava lake at Halemaumau Caldiera at Volcanoes Nat'l Park is filling up again. Good luck and enjoy.

If your wife snorkels, do the manta ray snorkel so she can get in on the excitement. Staying with the snorkeling hit, as mentioned above, 2 Step - we did a catamaran tour and snorkeled it that way (at least I'm pretty sure it was.) Head up to Waikola (Kohala Coast) and dive out of Pauko - smaller life can be seen - Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures is a good dive op.

Still up north visit the Pololu Valley Lookout - take in the view or hike down down to the water - somewhat strenuous. Also along the Kohala Coast is the Lapakahi State Historic Park - nice, long walk through ruins of the natives - we took a picnic lunch as there are a couple of picnic tables there.

On the Hamakua Coast, you'll find the Akaka Falls State Park that is a nice walk to a couple of waterfalls. The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is also on this coast and has a scenic drive.

If you can get to it, Mauna Kea Observatory is something I've wanted to do but haven't.....yet.

Depending on when you were last there and if it's open, Volcanoes National Park might be worth another stop. Our visits were 6 years apart and there had been a major eruption - needless to say there were some changes.

In Kauai, most dive sites are around Koloa and Poipu. Can shore dive in Koloa (Koloa Landing East and West.) The Plantation train tour was a highlight for me. Was able to sample all types of different fruits which tasted better than anything I ever had. They even allowed us to take fruit near the end of the tour. There is a pretty good luau in Wailua. Helicopter ride was pretty spooky (the Big Island helicopter was nice and smooth) but the only way to really see the diversity of the island. Did go to the Kilauea Lighthouse but there's not really anything to do there. Only stayed on this island for a week, but there didn't seem to be as much to do since you can't drive to all parts of the island.
Wife is not a water person (my mind was somewhere else way back then.) I think we went to that Pololu lookout. North end of island, end of the road. Trail down to the beach not for the weak or faint of heart?

Horseback riding in the Waipio Valley

Alua (dog) Beach. The spot where the boats are at the beginning of the video is a huge field of garden eels at 130'. I've seen mantas and even a marlin there. There is also a turtle cleaning station.

Black water diving

Two step is great on Big Island.
If on Maui, I would recommend picking up a copy of The Divers' Guide to Maui by Chuck Thorne.
Personally if your time and budget permits I would try to make it over to Lana'i to dive First or Second Cathedral. Molokini is another great site as long as you're not packed onto one of the boat outfits that treat divers like cattle..
(both Lana'i and Molokini will require a short boat trip from Maui, but worth it in my opinion..).

If on Maui, I would recommend

Pauline took us out and pointed out some sea slugs named after her :) She maintains the sea slugs of Hawaii site.

Not sure if you’re into that but I sure wish I was going :)

Back
Top Bottom