Manifold isolator valve position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgdive

Reaction score
Is there a DIR guideline regarding the position of the isolator valve on a doubles rig, or is the primary concern the ability to reach and operate the valve?

Having thin stretchy arms, I prefer the valve pointed down along the tanks instead of the seemingly customary location of angling it upward and forward. Somehow I feel it is more protected there, and I can operate it without problem.

This also happens to be the position whereby the manifold is least stressed and rotates most easily when the doubles are assembled with no gas. Since I could reach it in that position, I left it there.

Thoughts?

Allowing the valve to rotate pervents dammage as much as your placment but the way you have it I could see it being a problem for some one trying to help in a gas shutdown. Also DIR is about standardization, I have never seen or heard about any one with the valve "backwards" such as yours.

The last thing that comes to ming is a slight increase in difuculty of untangling a line shoud it get looped around the valve.

mgdive:
Having thin stretchy arms, I prefer the valve pointed down along the tanks instead of the seemingly customary location of angling it upward and forward. Somehow I feel it is more protected there, and I can operate it without problem.

Thoughts?
I'd put it in the usual position so my buddy can access it if necessary.

You're able to manipulate the valve in either position, correct?

vodolaz:
I'd put it in the usual position so my buddy can access it if necessary.

You're able to manipulate the valve in either position, correct?

Correct, though I think next time I empty them I'll go back to the standard valve position. I think the value of it being where it is expected outweighs any argument for alternate positions.

Thanks!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom