Mandatory TDA membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got hold of Hans yesterday.

He told me he knows about this, and is trying to get it confirmed. At the moment the only information is coming fro0m the TDA, which is not the most independent source.

Regarding TDA membership-compulsory CMAS promotion: there are quite a few PADI shops member of TDA already, and that is not an issue.

Me, I am not enthousiastic to join TDA. I like the idea of an organisation for DC's in Thailand, maybe with subbranches for different areas, but don't like the fact that while TDA claims to represent all DC's in Thailand they are at the same time promoting CMAS.

Got hold of Hans yesterday.

He told me he knows about this, and is trying to get it confirmed. At the moment the only information is coming fro0m the TDA, which is not the most independent source.

Regarding TDA membership-compulsory CMAS promotion: there are quite a few PADI shops member of TDA already, and that is not an issue.

Me, I am not enthousiastic to join TDA. I like the idea of an organisation for DC's in Thailand, maybe with subbranches for different areas, but don't like the fact that while TDA claims to represent all DC's in Thailand they are at the same time promoting CMAS.

I think you nailed it pretty well Steven, I also don't have a problem with an overall organisation working for and on behalf of Thailand's DC's, but in my opinion TDA started off on the wrong foot by combining this with CMAS interests. Whatever they do from now on, it will always be coloured and not independant, as such an organisation should be.

Hans must've had a very busy day yesterday, since it looks like he was on the phone with half of Thailand's DC owners and interested parties. :D

BTW Is this how CMAS Course Directors get their bussines?

Just checked their website, and this is really ridiculous: see that my old DC, does not exist anymore, is a member. The name is spelled wrong of course, but who cares. But we have never been a member, and I see some names of which I know have not paid their contribution but are still on the list.

BTW, Chantal and Jamie: you are also members.

A long established PADI Dive Centre in Samui recently had it's TAT License renewal turned down as they didn't have paperwork showing they are a member of TDA/CMAS.

It turns out that you will not have your TAT License renewed unless you are a TDA Member. And more......... every dive centre must have a CMAS 2 Star Instructor on staff, they have to issue a certain amount of CMAS Certifications per year, and within 2 years each Instructor will have to have dual agencies to work in Thailand.

The details might not be 100% accurate but this is the jist of what is being spread on Samui, by reputable sources.

Hi Paul,

I've been told exactly the same.

Two shops on Koh Samui have seen their TAT renewal been turned down since they weren't TDA members.

In order to become a TDA member, one of the work permit holding members of the applying company needs to become a 2* CMAS instructor. Once this is achieved at a crossover rate of supposedly 28.200,-THB which includes the application fee and the first membership year, you can apply for the required 5* TDA Dive Academy dive centre rating, which equals a CMAS rating and subjects you to CMAS rules, like issuing a certain amount of CMAS certifications per year in order to maintain the rating. There are a few other minor charges as well, like mandatory insurance fees ranging around 200,-/300,-THB.
The application fee for the TDA/CMAS 5* Dive Academy rating is supposedly 5.500,-THB with an annual fee of 5.500,-THB.

According to the same source, within 6 months, individual instructors will have to become CMAS instructors when they renew their work permits.

Unfortunately, TAT has nothing to offer in writing and TDA/CMAS only has application forms available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom