Mandatory TDA membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've just been informed that in order to get your work permit or renewal, all instructors must now join the TDA. A law was signed off yesterday. A CMAS course director just came in the shop and wanted to sell me a CMAS crossover so that I could join the TDA. What is the situation here? I'm new to this organisation. Are we just getting another level of beaurocracy put on top?

You don't need to be CMAS instructor to become a TDA member.

I have not heard about the link between TDA membership and workpermit. Did the same CMAS guy tell you that?

Since he was telling nonsense about compulsory CMAS membership in order te become a TDA member, I would not trust him until confirmed by a reliable source.

I do know there has been talk about TDA member shops being able to get more or cheaper (sorry, don't recall the exact wording) workpermits than other shops, so they seem to be lobbying on that front so there could be an element of truth in it.

But just relax until somebody more trustworthy confirms this.

I went to the TDA website, this is what a member agrees to;

a. recognition and acceptance of the TDA standards and the international CMAS standards
b. obligation to predominantly use CMAS- and TDA–C-Cards for all dive brevet levels and specialties, where applicable
c. acceptance of further obligations, provided such obligations uniformly apply to all regular members

Note the obligation.

I've since contacted TDA directly and this is from their reply;

But according to our information from the Tourist Guide and Tourist Business Department of Thailand it is now compulsory for all in Thailand Active Dive Professionals and Dive Centers to be a member of the TDA.

Is this to say all dive centres should now be pushing CMAS before everything else?

In my limited understanding of the matter, that's exactly what the TDA has been trying to push altogether.

It seems unreal that they just obligate anybody to sell a certain agency rather than having a free choice, as one would expect in 'free' society.

Just my 2 Baht.

"Free society"! Maybe the TDA will just take over the government house and make it so... I see the sarcasm in your post, but could not resist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom