Manatee Dive Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prefer not 12/18 as well, my b'day is reserved for other events! Should still be good, just hope the manatees arent scooped up from the water as the 'cane comes through :wink:

Gibbon, have fun on that Keys trip, there is a big party load of people in SE that weekend, stop by if you are in the area.

Thanks... I'll stay tuned to this thread.
The manatees have been on my "to do" list.
Had no idea that winter was the better time to do this.

Gibbon:
Trish, at this point it's looking like 12/11 & 12 weekend.

Cra2, Manatees start ariving a lot earlier. Even into November if I'm not mistaken (and yes, it is possible)

Trish The Fish:
Had no idea that winter was the better time to do this.

oh yes, tons of them around!

you'll love it. snorkeling with the manatees is one of my
yearly rituals.

I'm not at all a local, but I've been told that most of them go to sea for grazing in the summer, then back to the springs for warmth in the winter. Kings Bay, Crystal River has some that hang around in the summer to graze the Chinese Hydrilla that's taking over freshwater across the southern US, but you get a lot more of them there in the winter.

My daughter's family and I swam with a few last month there, and I remember the boat skipper telling me "We never get hurricanes here. :D Hope she and everyone else there is riding out the storm okay.

so we're looking at December now... got that info. looking forward to it.
REEF ID class in September.
megadive at ginnie in October.
and Manatee trip in December.
hrmm... guess I'll have to do Epcot in November.

Sounds like fun.
I'm interested.
I won't be able to say for sure until I know which weekend.
-Mike

i live here and run tours and charters in crystal river, the hurricane missed us once again-thank goodness. the water here stays between 70 and 75 degrees year round, but in december it gets pretty chilly outside, sometimes below 50 degrees. there will be no problem finding manatees in december, they are everywhere, along with many idle/no-wake/and manatee zones. it is definately easiest to snorkel with manatees-less bulk and easier manueverability. The manatees will usually swim right up to you. however, it is best to dive the main springs-they go down to 55-60ft.

This looked like a good plan way back when it was formulated, just wondering what interest there might still be amongst the Conchs? I am still up for that weekend have it marked for this dive/get together. I know DSW is going to have his work cut out for him with the Megadive at Ginnie in a couple of weeks (particularly with a bad back and barely receeding water at Ginnie), just thought i would bump the thread and get people back in the thought of it in two months time! :wink:

Good idea Simon. I am definately interested. Anybody got a childs wetsuit I can borrow? Tenatively count me in for 1 adult, 1 child.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom