Manatee Dive Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I in for some BBQ or chilled SeaCow. Let me know the dates as soon as they are figured out. What the temp in that area around December? I have never been up that way.
back40

I have chosen the date 12/11. It is far enough after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas that it gives everyone a chance to be there who wants to without interfering with holiday plans.

I'd be interested. I live in Lecanto, just a few miles east of Crystal River.

Would I be telling my age if I mentioned that I took my open water checkout dives in Kings Spring in 1977? I was looking the other day, my instructors certification number was 100. Now I really feel old.

For any one who has not been there, it is a great experience. I went with Manateetours.com. Scott (the boat captain, and owner) knows where to find the manatees when no one else can find them. He grew up in/on Crystal River.

I have a picture of my then 12 year old daughter petting an 700 pound cow. It was awsome.

Fl law prohibits you from approaching them. However, if they swim to you, no problem. The clarity in 3 sisters is as good as any spring in FL.

Temps of water will be in the low 70's usually most people want a 3 mil, unless you are used to diving cold water......Just my 2psi........

DEEPSEAWOLF:
Just got off the phone with Best Western Dive Shop... no deposit required for the boat, full day rental is actually by the hour,... they open at 8, boat has to be back by 5:30 comes to about $160 for the day 8-5:30. Earlier we come back, the cheaper it is.
$15 per hour til noon, $17 per hour after that. For 6 people per boat, the cost is roughly $30 for the day. We are not rushed to see everything, and can hit numerous sites. Room rental for two double beds at the hotel is roughly $90 night. Two couples sharing the room drops that to $45.

Hey guys I have run probably 300 people up to Crystal River to see Manatee. Call Fred at the Port Hotel and Dive Center. They have nicer cleaner boats that are only $65/half day $120 for the entire day and. It is much closer to King Springs and to 3 sistes.
http://www.porthotelandmarina.com/

Toll Free 800-443-0875 • Phone: 352-795-3111

I love the webcam! I will consider this for boat rental and hotel stay. I'll call them in a few minutes and see what they say.

Got off the phone with Marge...
She stated that hotel rates for December 11-12 timeframe will be quoted as $60 per night. The condition for this price is that you MUST state you are with Scubaboard when you reserve the room.
There is no "minimum group number" as there was with Ginnie Springs for a group rate. I hope to get my room and a boat reserved within the next two weeks. I will request the 28' boat so we can get more people on it and/or have more room. The marina/dive shop opens at 8 am so that's the earliest we could take the boat out. This seems pretty standard with everyone I've called. depending on circumstances, I may be there Friday night as well as Saturday night. I'll get a boat for Saturday. I expect with two tanks each diver, I'm guessing we should be able to get about 8 divers on a 28 footer. Plus or minus a BW or two. I may drop by there next month to look at the boats and see what they look like and where they are located. I will also look at tank racking and how we will accomplish this.
It looks like this will be the central dive location. veryone willl meet here and we can embark in whatever boats we have. I'll get more specific as the time approaches. I'll also be posting a prospected attendee list this week.

The only problem then with booking your own boat is that you cant get there very early. From what i recalled when we went last december, the Birds and AmPro boats got there around 6.50-7am and their snorkelers got in and chased the manatees back into their sanctuary and silted the place out, just a consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom