Manado Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSdiver:
Oh yeah - stay away from places that serve Arak - that local alcohol is nasty and gets the local guys agitated

I was on Bunaken for Indonesian Independence day last August. The arak was flowing and the men vasilated between holding hands and singing to each other, to fist fighting in the streets. The power of arak. I will addd to this long term thread that I felt very safe during my time in North Sulawesi. I was there (Bunaken and Lembeh) for three weeks and was treated so well, even being invited to a local engagement ceremony. The local folks are friendly and made me feel at home.

alc16:
I was set on going to Koh Tao for a few weeks in October (have about 3 weeks spare) but looking at Manado, my mind keeps changing.

Does Manado kick butt over Koh Tao - dive quality (ignoring the "conveyor belt" of diver numbers in Koh Tao)?

NO comparision, have been to both. Manando in both '94 and 2003. And Koh Tao in the mid to late 90's. Koh Tao is becomming a joke if you ask me. Contact Terry at Sunsplash, Bastinanos Bungalows on Bunaken. Have fun

sinners:
Trying to plan a trip to Manado on my own, assuming that I take care of my own ticket, who would one recommend as the dive operator?

I got a suggestion so far for Eco-Divers.

Also, going in September would it be good time to go?

Comments please.

Cheers!
When Are you planning to go.. I will probably post a full dive report aftre my trip.. I will be spending a month with http://murexdive.com/ starting on May 1,2004. That should be a long enough trip to really give a good review of the various areas visited..

Manado and North Sulawesi should be OK for Westerners. There are now conflicts in Ambon in Maluku, and things in Poso, Central Sulawesi can be uncertain. But Manado is a modern enough city, and should be safe.
The general advice is be polite, don't attract too much attention to yourself, and keep smiling during encounters with locals, including the authorities.
If it's worth anything, I'm an American journalist who has lived in Jakarta and covering the news here for the last four years.
On the diving issue, I'd suggest Froggies Divers (www.divefroggies.com) on Bunaken Island itself. It's run by Christine, a Swiss (if I'm not mistaken) who has tons of experience in the area and is one of the people who are active on the conservation programme there.
Staying on the island means easy 10-minute boat rides to your dive sites. You can go back to the island and relax during surface intervals, and then decide at your leisure when you'll go diving again.
Staying in Manado and other points on the mainland means hopping on a boat and travelling 1 hour to dive sites, diving, then sit around in the boat during the surface interval, then diving, and then another hour on the boat back to your Manado hotel.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather be dry and sipping a cup of tea with milk under a tree with a book on my lap while waiting for the next dive, and not inside a cramped boat, still in my wetsuit, cold and wet.

padiscubapro,

Look forward to seeing that trip report. We are planning a MUREX Resort/MUREX liveaboard/Bangka Islands (Gangga Island Resort) trip for mid-July this year.

Rickg

I have been diving in Manado - Oct'98 & July '01 with a side trip to Lembah for a day. Diving was very good or I would not be going back this July to both. There are a lot of Christians in the population in Mandao area and it is pretty safe. I too will be diving with Divers Lodge in Lembah but I find http://www.thalassa.net/ and the Hotel Santika very reasonable for a change as a package deal. I usually make my wife stay in some one or 2 star dump so we can afford the air fare and diving when we dive in Asia. This is a welcome change and quite nice. It is a little far from Manado but a 5-10 min. boat ride to all the dive sites. Being away from town only makes it safer and we usually go into town 2 or three time to eat ( very cheaply) and do some shopping. Where ever you stay if you bring some old clothes to leave behind the people are not well off in the country and they really like your t-shirts or hats.

one hour to dive sites? Hmmm.... when I dove with Thalassa last fall most dive sites were 10-15 minutes away. Just fall off the boat and have fun. Our surface intervals were at various islands for lunch in the shade. I was never cold and wet.

Mr. Blues:
one hour to dive sites? Hmmm.... when I dove with Thalassa last fall most dive sites were 10-15 minutes away. Just fall off the boat and have fun. Our surface intervals were at various islands for lunch in the shade. I was never cold and wet.

Yes that's about right, it took longer to walk out onto the dock than the boat ride took + the lunchs and breakfasts were included and were wonderful.

Thanks for the local info, rgo. I to am planning to go to North Sulawasi (this Christmas approx. 10th to 20th December) and how stable the local scene is has some bearing. The Foreign Office usually play it very safe so your sort of feed back is very helpful. It pays to look around various places to try and get a rounded view. Personally I have travelled a bit around Thailand, Laos, Burma and Cambodia...so I am not looking for safety guaranteed!
On the dive front the same names seem to come up...like the sound of Froggies and got a pleasant email reply...but I also love liveaboards to max my diving on this part of my hols...I like to be knackered at the end of my dive hol. Murex have nitrox, I believe and if this goes along with a bigger tank and nice substantail fills this may sway me. Or perhaps a bit of both...decisions decisions.
The idea of diving North Sulawasi gets me so excited I have to go and take a cold shower every time I research my hols... I have dived Similans a few times and enjoyed it but I know there is better around and this sounds like number one to me. I want to get there before the hoards arrive.........
PS Come and dive in the UK, rgo, and find out what cold really is!

Back
Top Bottom