Man in diving gear found dead on Fort Lauderdale beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idocsteve:
I don't see a problem with speculating about the cause of an accident. It encourages critical thinking, promotes greater understanding of the risks of scuba diving, and may prevent other accidents. For example, when I dove earlier today (solo, off a beach), I took a second look at my valve to make sure that it was on. Sure, the unfortunate fellow who is the subject of this post may have suffered a different fate, but it got me thinking, and made me just that much more careful; it most likely will do the same for others that read this thread. In a way, it makes this unfortunate diver's death more meaningful then it otherwise would have been.

The post was aimed at the people that got every thread pulled that mentioned the incidents at CoCo view (before your time)

factor310:
Just curious... at what point would you have abandoned your gear to get back to shore?

That is something I never thought about because of the way things happened. Air tank full, dive buddy there, not to far from the beach. Plus side to the situation, beach walker came to help. On the other hand, once I got up I could have made it to the beach under my own power. But the assistance was greatly appreciated. So that question did not come in to play.

But to give you a straight answer, I have no idea. The only one that can answer that is the man upstairs and I'm thankful he was there that night.

To let a few poster know...
Several posts up to this point have been edited or deleted that were off-topic or or of the stick-poking variety (highlighting spelling errors, etc.)

jagfish:
To let a few poster know...
Several posts up to this point have been edited or deleted that were off-topic or or of the stick-poking variety (highlighting spelling errors, etc.)
:thumb: Thanks!

[ She said the man, in his late 40s or early 50s, was diving alone in the area and his diving gear indicated he had a full tank of air.

It's all speculation at this point, but considering the fact that he had a full tank of air suggests that he may have been on his way to the water and hadn't yet dove when "something" happened.

JRScuba:
That is something I never thought about because of the way things happened.....But to give you a straight answer, I have no idea.

No one here has any idea.

That is the point of the few posts I have made- here and on similar threads.

SCUBABoard has created this forum to isolate the constant nattering that follows a diver's death. The only thing quicker to jump on a sensational death than an internet speculator is the flies.

I suppose it's good that any incident makes a diver reconsider their procedures, but a statement like that reflects well on why TSA has us pull off our shoes... one whack job with a shoe bomb. "Fixating and reacting" is horse-hockey.

OK, so what's the next bogey to fixate upon? All we have is the one account. So... did you make sure your tank wasn't full of oxygen ? Or maybe juist avoid diving off of that area in Ft. Lauderdale? (Surely that must have been a causative agent!)

Speculation fulfills a couple of requirements:

1) Much like gawking at a wreck, the "sure glad it isn't me factor" plays in.

2) As to above gawking, different conclusion: "See, I'm alive so I am smarter (better) than that!"

3) "I'm going to expound on the various theories so that everyone knows I should be on CSI instead of this computer." (see #2)

SCUBABoard was very smart. They isolated this type of speculative rubbernecking in its own section. Keeps the rabble off the main street.

If we could be presented with a plain set of determinate facts, then we could wax poetic as to ways to avoid, prevent, reduce. Until then, we babble till we grow tired... ahh.. the next big thing! (Anybody remember Katrina at this point?)

But then, how long would a thread like that be ? Facts. Solution. Alternative Solution. Last post. What fun would that be ?

As Clyde Snow (GOOGLE him) once said, "it is fascinating when people die".

He also looked at my young face and whisperd, (the initials that SB edits out), "ST*U".

From that wisdom, I learned much. So I write this, not as a directive, but as a way of explaining my previous posts, to clarify my logic and approach to the unknown.

Doc... When you're right... you're right. (people rubberneck at accidents??? I never noticed that... I was too busy looking at the accident)

I think the only facts about this case to ever surface (no pun intended) are that the man's name was Gregory Boyce, and he had 3 years diving experience.

He most likely had a full tank.

Since the coroner already ruled the death a drowning... That's all they're going to do... As far as the authorities are concerned, it's put to rest. So maybe this will be put to rest as well...

Some people accept whatever they are told, and others question and analyze the problem. I think civilization has gone further with the help of those that question. Just my 2 cents

paulwall:
Correction, his tank was most likely not completely empty.

Miami Herald:
An autopsy has revealed that the cause of death is drowning, Collins said. Boyce's body still had scuba gear on it, and police said a gauge on the tank indicated it was full.

I think the police would have a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom