Man in diving gear found dead on Fort Lauderdale beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COD - Drowning... The #1 listed cause for diving deaths (which doesn't really say anything, since no matter what happens to you, you're going to drown)... I guess we'll never really know what happened.

Just a question... If the investigating police stated that the tank was full, would they not notice if the valve was turned on or off ?

My utmost and sincere condolences to the family and friends. What a terrible loss.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge about how comprehensive a typical autopsy for a suspected drowning victim is? Do they typically search beyond suspected causes such as drowning and easy to detect injuries, into other more difficult to detect causes such as heart attacks and strokes?

Given that in this case the diver was found floating on the surface, one can surmise that even if the tank valve was closed he would likely have had access to surface air. I realize this is conjecture, and plenty of things can happen that would result in drowning in a similar scenerio. The point is, in an examination of possible causes, if one could conclusively rule out the occurrence of medical conditions such as heart attack, one can concentrate on other issues. But, can one reliably do so based on a typical autopsy report?

DI_Guy:
Just a question... If the investigating police stated that the tank was full, would they not notice if the valve was turned on or off ?

My utmost and sincere condolences to the family and friends. What a terrible loss.
Yep, know where we can get better reporting...?

DAN may publish more for us in a couple of years.

DI_Guy:

Only a competant investigator would think to check.

Sometimes, people just die. Wearing a scuba tank or not. It's not a crime, you know.
Even if the tank is full of oxygen.

We've had ~5' seas for the past few days which could be a complicating factor.

Condolences to the family and keeping a good thought for them.

I'm wondering about something. If he was discovered floating, wouldn't that indicate an at least partially inflated BCD? Is it likely that a weighted diver would float without some air in the BCD?

Jeff

jtoorish:
Condolences to the family and keeping a good thought for them.

I'm wondering about something. If he was discovered floating, wouldn't that indicate an at least partially inflated BCD? Is it likely that a weighted diver would float without some air in the BCD?

Jeff
Not really. Just lose speculation, but the BC might have had enough air in it as he tried to walk it and he hadn't gotten far enough to dump it before something went wrong. We're not likely to get much more on this but the learning possibilities have already been offered above by experienced divers.

Given that in this case the diver was found floating on the surface, one can surmise that even if the tank valve was closed he would likely have had access to surface air.
Yeah, but who knows. Panic is always possible, and a big challenge. That Lobster diver you had die out there recently still baffles me. Anyone who lives near an ocean should know that if you get caught in a rip, swim across it, or at worst - inflate BC & Safety Sausage and ride it out. Odd?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom