Man in diving gear found dead on Fort Lauderdale beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I think the police would have a pretty good idea.
Yep, I'm the local police know how much makes a scuba tank full - of air. The possible failing would be the reporter who said it was full of oxygen.

But we're not likely to learn more from those sources or any other...

DandyDon:
Yep, I'm the local police know how much makes a scuba tank full - of air. The possible failing would be the reporter who said it was full of oxygen.

But we're not likely to learn more from those sources or any other...

On with this Don. Now the question is *Do we accept this* or can we discuss what may have caused him to drown?

On with this Don. Now the question is *Do we accept this* or can we discuss what may have caused him to drown?

Some people accept whatever they are told, and others question and analyze the problem. I think civilization has gone further with the help of those that question.

What caused him to drown? Aspiration of water.

(See how goofy it can get lest we get very specific?)

"Question and analyze".... just what details should we analyze?

Do the local police or Coroner (M.E.) know? Probably. Does the media care enough to put it on page 23? No. As in the famous quote: "It's the media, stupid"

Question authority, rebel, by all means. That's what attracted the Brits here in the first place. Et tu?

Never mind, back to speculation. I'm going with the locale itself being dangerous. Bugs in the water, Bernuli's Triangle, that kind of deal.

cdiver2:
I kinda' thought we already had covered that...??

RoatanMan:
What caused him to drown? Aspiration of water.

(See how goofy it can get lest we get very specific?)

"Question and analyze".... just what details should we analyze?

Do the local police or Coroner (M.E.) know? Probably. Does the media care enough to put it on page 23? No. As in the famous quote: "It's the media, stupid"

Never mind, back to speculation. I'm going with the locale itself being dangerous. Bugs in the water, Bernuli's Triangle, that kind of deal.

of being fogged of with a simple explanations. I have seen so many deaths were the verdict is drowning but no mention of why. I suppose we could all act like an ostrich and it would make life much simpler.

**Question authority, rebel, by all means. That's what attracted the Brits here in the first place. Et tu?**?

I thought this racial stuff was against TOS

cdiver2:
of being fogged of with a simple explanations. I have seen so many deaths were the verdict is drowning but no mention of why. I suppose we could all act like an ostrich and it would make life much simpler.

I thought this racial stuff was against TOS

Try to be serious. You and I have joked on the phone about us being recent immigrants. Or is being a Brit being a race? I don't know where you think this was directed at you anyway, but that is why our forbears escaped tyranny to come here. See- truth is a defense! . A little sensitive? Hey, you're in the breadbasket of democracy now, show 'em how a voting machine works, will'ya? :wink:

I don't think anyone is being "fogged of" ... if that means, what, blown off?

I think we are all victims of the media that we created.

If it bleeds, it leads, and this is done bleeding. It is of no further interest to the media, because it is of no interest to the collective "us".

"We" -as the 99% of news consumers- don't want to be confused with details, no facts please, just tittilate me.

I want to see that dead SCUBA diver picture, then... what is Paris Hilton doing?

There will be no details. The discussion will be in a vacuum, as unfortunately are most such discussions.

Now, when someone posts a near-miss, they are there to give their perception as well as fill in the details after they have heard responses. That is a worthy thread, look at what DandyDon did with that "What would you have done?" That was a productive use. Statements, facts, give and take, replies, a bit of fun, and a lot of people learned a lot of stuff. Sold a few Rescue Diver courses, too!

There is use for this discussion, but not without details.

RoatanMan:
Try to be serious. You and I have joked on the phone about us being recent immigrants. Or is being a Brit being a race? I don't know where you think this was directed at you anyway, but that is why our forbears escaped tyranny to come here. See- truth is a defense! . A little sensitive? Hey, you're in the breadbasket of democracy now, show 'em how a voting machine works, will'ya? :wink:

I don't think anyone is being "fogged of" ... if that means, what, blown off?

I think we are all victims of the media that we created.

If it bleeds, it leads, and this is done bleeding. It is of no further interest to the media, because it is of no interest to the collective "us".

"We" -as the 99% of news consumers- don't want to be confused with details, no facts please, just tittilate me.

I want to see that dead SCUBA diver picture, then... what is Paris Hilton doing?

There will be no details. The discussion will be in a vacuum, as unfortunately are most such discussions.

Now, when someone posts a near-miss, they are there to give their perception as well as fill in the details after they have heard responses. That is a worthy thread, look at what DandyDon did with that "What would you have done?" That was a productive use. Statements, facts, give and take, replies, a bit of fun, and a lot of people learned a lot of stuff. Sold a few Rescue Diver courses, too!

There is use for this discussion, but not without details.

First the media, I have no use for it what so ever (sorry Mania don't want to upset you again)

I see nothing wrong in discussing possibilities when information is not available, as long as it is not put forward as fact.

I think putting people down or objecting to people that wish to discuss a subject is censorship at it worst.

Race?. I have forgotten how many times I have been jumped on when using the phrase Americans (in a negative light ). Whats good for the goose is good for the gander...yes?

You are right I am a rebel, Is it a British trait? I don't know best ask and outsider on that I may be biased :D

The thing that I find annoying (about scuba deaths) is that the authority's nine times out of ten say "death by drowning". That's like a court saying death by motor car, we know a Mc truck hit him, why did it hit him?. That is the answer people are looking for.

I don't think anyone on the board is looking for photos just what happened so they don't make the same mistake.

Me I have a good idea what happened but conformation would be nice, just to make sure I had not overlooked something.

I for one would like to see something like the FAA for the scuba diving fraternity that would look closer at why accidents happened. I am sure that there are people that would learn a valuable lesson from these facts.

As long as we accept what is given to us...that's all we are ever going to get.

Yes fogged off=blown off. Doe's this mean I speak two languages? I may be able to get a job as an interpreter for the Brits when they come on vacation :D

Careful where you step there....investigation is just a few tiny steps away from regulation. I am sure there would be some government goons drooling at the opportunity to form the scuba police, if they aren't already...

I can see it now...anual license fees, depth limits enforced by law, tec diving permits issued at a cost...This industry does quite well as a self-regulated industry. Government involvement would almost certainly turn ugly.

gangrel441:
Careful where you step there....investigation is just a few tiny steps away from regulation. I am sure there would be some government goons drooling at the opportunity to form the scuba police, if they aren't already...

I can see it now...anual license fees, depth limits enforced by law, tec diving permits issued at a cost...This industry does quite well as a self-regulated industry. Government involvement would almost certainly turn ugly.

Give a little take a little. If you think about it apart from the initial outlay for gear scuba is fairly cheap as hobbies/sports go.

There again scuba divers are well known for being cheap, **I did not say this** but have heard it said by a few charter boat ops and LDS's

cdiver2:
First the media, I have no use for it what so ever (sorry Mania don't want to upset you again)

But you've been spoiled bythe British Media. For those of you who haven't seen Brit TV or Newspapers... there's no explaining it!

I see nothing wrong in discussing possibilities when information is not available, as long as it is not put forward as fact.

But you see, that caveat is never heeded. You have seen pure conjecture become fact- that's how you and I met. When something gets plonked (another American word) on the Internet, it gains a truth of its own.

I think putting people down or objecting to people that wish to discuss a subject is censorship at it worst.

I refer to nattering and speculative conjecture. Discussing a subject- all well and good. As in any discussion (first year Law School or any High School Forensics/debate team class), here are your "GIVEN" elements. Now, off you go from there.

As we have seen this incident so far, there are no specifics to hang your argument upon.

What would you have then, your fantasy version of potential facts... or mine?

You have to start someplace. In this case, we no precious little.

Race?. I have forgotten how many times I have been jumped on when using the phrase Americans (in a negative light ). Whats good for the goose is good for the gander...yes?

I laugh it off... or don't even notice. All nationalities have their idiocyncracies. Fun to laugh at and be laughed at. Life's too short!

You are right I am a rebel, Is it a British trait? I don't know best ask and outsider on that I may be biased :D

It becomes a trait only when you cross the pond.

The thing that I find annoying (about scuba deaths) is that the authority's nine times out of ten say "death by drowning".

Or... "pilot error".

That's like a court saying death by motor car, we know a Mc truck hit him, why did it hit him?. That is the answer people are looking for.

I don't think anyone on the board is looking for photos just what happened so they don't make the same mistake.

Therein lies the crux of the biscuit (no direct British Translation).

"Just what happened" isn't available. So... we... should talk about... what?

Me I have a good idea what happened but conformation would be nice, just to make sure I had not overlooked something.

If you can lay it out for us, specifying both now and forever that this is a hypothetical "mmot court" argument... let's hear it!

I for one would like to see something like the FAA for the scuba diving fraternity that would look closer at why accidents happened. I am sure that there are people that would learn a valuable lesson from these facts.

Amen, Brother! But not the FAA, Lord NO! Maybe like the NTSB.

As long as we accept what is given to us...that's all we are ever going to get.

Yes fogged off=blown off. Doe's this mean I speak two languages? I may be able to get a job as an interpreter for the Brits when they come on vacation :D

Sorry, sport, you've lost your edge. You're drinking your "beer" cold, now.

Maybe we could come up with a totally hypothetic scenario and let everyone play SCUBA, CSI. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom