Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good News! I will be travelling with another SB member Harakiri who I happen to know from my city. We will meet up in Cebu.

There is also room for another diver who is planning to go to Malapascua from Cebu city on 23rd Jan and we can split the private transfer 3 ways. Please pm me if this is you.

Matt, we would like to head up to dive Calanggaman and Gato when we are there. Whats the likelihood of this happening in our 4 days?

Hi Gavin,

Sounds good. There's a good chance of Gato happening while you're here...Kalanggaman might be a bit harder. It just depends on demand and weather. We had to call off a Kalanggaman trip the other day due to it being a bit lumpy...It's a long trip if the weather isn't just right.

Bring fair weather with you and all should be good :)

Interesting~
I also had the same hesitation between Malapascua and Moalboal but finally decided to go to Moalboal this time. :cool2:
It's my first time to Philippines and will take public transportation to Moalboal. I'm traveling solo so private pick up could be expensive relatively :(:(
Hoping to see those sardine run. maybe whale shark/thresher for bonus.:D
Wish us good luck:D

Oooh. if there happens to be anyone who is planning to go to Moalboal from Cebu on 28th Jan. Please draw me a line. lol

So back to the transfer, if you go by bus, what do people do with their gear. Someone stated in the post to buy an extra ticket and use the seat next to you. Great idea but I'm afraid my bag is a bit too big for that; I'm not sure. I'm I taking too much of a risk by putting it below?

Put your bags in the baggage area below deck, they are perfectly safe. If you are really worried about it, you can put it up front beside the driver, but down is much easier. You don't have to pay extra, although some ******* porters or conductors may ask P20, which is graft. I just laughed when they tried it and got on the bus.

Take the Ceres bus to Moalboal from Cebu City South Terminal. The one you want will say Bato / Barili. It costs about P96 for non Aircon, and I don't know if they have Aircon.

Sometimes when I am jetlagged I just take a taxi from the airport. I negotiate the taxi fare to P2000. I do speak a little Visayan and know the game. If you are feeling generous, go ahead and pay more. P2500 is generous, more is robbery.

I would not recommend using the taxis right outside the airport arrival door. They are more expensive, especially the yellow airport taxis which charge double. To get a cheap taxi from the airport, go out the arrival door and cross the road to the other side. Go upstairs to the departure level and come back across the road to the terminal. Flag a taxi that has just dropped off a departing guest. They are eager to pick up a fare and will always negotiate.

Warning, it is a very winding road near Carcar and you may want to take Bonamine against nausea. I do, just in case. My companion tossed her cookies despite taking Bonamine.

When you get to Moalboal, you have to take a trike to Panagsama or White beach, which costs P70. Contrary to other comments, Panagsama is a sleepy quiet little town with no beach, just rocks. White beach definitely has a nicer sandy beach if you care. Panagsama is closer to Pescador Island, so I stay there. I stay at Marina Resort, which has nice rooms for P1600 with ref and hot water dispenser in the rooms. I buy cup of noodles at the sari sari store and that's breakfast usually, before the 7:30AM dive. Dinner at Silver Ray usually, an old hangout.

The ride to Moalboal is very scenic up in the hills when you look out over the valleys. Sometimes you get to share a seat with a guy carrying his pet fighting cock. Fighting cocks are treated like children, much better than pet dogs. Don't laugh, this is deadly serious -- they take great pride in their cocks and huge sums are gambled on the fights. If you have not been to a cockfight, it's a trip. PETA not invited.

On my last trip, while waiting in Carcar I noticed a trike carrying small pigs to market for Christmas roasting. He stopped right next to me. He had 15 live piggies squirming over each other in his motorcycle sidecar!! PETA definitely not invited. The sharpened bamboo poles for skewering the pigs were on top. He said they sell for P3000 live, about P5000 roasted. He was going to sell them at the Carcar market that day. After Moalboal, we bought about 4KG of roasted pig at that market for Christmas dinner, and I thought of those piggies. A far cry from buying pork roast at Safeway.

Attachments

• Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 49
  • Airplane.jpg
    Airplane.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 41
  • Clown Fish 2.jpg
    Clown Fish 2.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Dragon.jpg
    Dragon.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Nudibranch couple 1.jpg
    Nudibranch couple 1.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Tortoise 1.jpg
    Tortoise 1.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 59
  • sardines.jpg
    sardines.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 367
Torachen, we 2 divers are going from Maya to Moalboal probably via cebu city in a private car on the 27th! So youre one day out of splitting 3 ways. We will probably diving pescador around the same time, where are you staying? We are at Asian Belgian resort until the 31st.

Gee,

I will look for a place to stay when I get there. But I do have booked some dives from a shop.

Thanks slowhands for the information.
Seems like AC buses are running again:D
FYI,below is a quote from Roger
I am updating the Bus Schedule:

The A/C buses leave Cebu South Bus Terminal for Moalboal at

Morning Afternoon
5:00AM and 7:00AM 3:00PM and 5:00PM

A/C Buses Depart Bato for Moalboal at
Morning Afternoon
5:00AM and 7:00AM 1:00PM

the Bato buses show up in Moalboal around 6:30AM/8:30AM and 2:30PM respectively.

I would recommend being at the terminal approx 30Mins early to ensure a seat and ensure less stressful transfer(I'm old and like less stress....

If you are interested in going to Bato from Moalboal estimate that the bus takes 2 hours to get from Cebu City to Moalboal and plan accordingly...

Cheers

PPDs I need your help~

I am thinking of a short visit to Dumaguete after Moalboal.:eyebrow:

I did some research about the transport between these two places. Please tell me if I got the wrong information.

From Moalboal to Dumaguete:

Take a Ceres bus to Bato ->Get off @ Bato->Take a padicab to Liloan->Take a fast craft to Sibulan->Take a pedicab to Dumaguete town.

From Dumaguete to Cebu city

Simply take a Ceres Liner bus which takes a short hop on a ferry.

Well after an epic thread and 3 months in the planning I finally got to Malapascua and Moalboal! The weather wasnt the greatest for wind and swell and we couldnt get to Gato but we managed to find the elusive Thresher and in Pescador Island the amazing Sardine Baitball. Even got to see a rare juvenile rock grabbing wrasse (2nd last photo) And we did get to see a school of Devil Rays!

Thanks to David and crew at Evolution for looking after us on the MP leg, and ABR for some seriouly cool diving in MB. Philippines is truly a place to behold, and with so many more varied dive sites to explore and great friends to come back to. I will be back for sure.

IMG_11581-C.jpg

IMG_12291-C.jpg

IMG_13411-C.jpg

IMG_2198_1-C.jpg

IMG_25441-C.jpg

IMG_23911-C.jpg

IMG_26311C.jpg

IMG_22171-C.jpg

IMG_24391-C.jpg

IMG_22371-C.jpg

IMG_20061-C.jpg

IMG_25271-C.jpg